Area 88 1/72 - F-8E Crusader (CRASH)

Started by strobez, October 29, 2019, 04:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Getting down to brass tacks now...

The sand was a bigger challenge than I thought. The "Angel Clay" I've used before seems to have run dry on the "cookie dough" colour so I was forced to go with "Candy Clay" - supposedly the same basic paper fibre clay technology, but I found it a little less forgiving. I did my best to remove the obvious finger prints and handprints that occurred during the application, but I really had to move quickly. I used a bit of clear plastic with a "water texture" to push the clay down into sand ridges, but it was only partially successful. In some of the tight spots it started cracking, so I needed to lay off a bit.

I know there will be some shrinkage while it dries, but I tried to over emphasize the edges around the buried parts so that it doesn't just leave a bunch of craters. Luckily, I think I can squeeze a bit of extra into any cracks and gaps later and fill them - that's my working theory, so we'll see what reality has to say about that.

Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Captain Canada

Oh great job on this one ! Such a neat build. What's the other girl in the background doing ? Love the crusader.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

strobez

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 12, 2019, 05:26:12 PM
What's the other girl in the background doing ?

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, but I do have a new F-5A/F-5E tandem build starting that I haven't shared here yet.  Are you interested to see? :)

Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Ok... so... I'm just going to leave these here.  I ended up having to re-do the sand because of the cracking, which meant I had to reposition the three main sections.  The tail and the wings now look better I think, but I couldn't quite match the angle of the nose that I had before.  With the clay drying quickly, I had limited time to fool around with it, unless I wanted huge cracks to take shape.

For a kit I was just going to toss in the bin... I'll take it!~

Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

zenrat

Brilliant.  I note you had to go out and buy a normal sized pot of paint to pose with it...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 19, 2019, 02:57:39 AM

Brilliant.  I note you had to go out and buy a normal sized pot of paint to pose with it...

Are we sure though? Maybe the model and the paint pot are both 1/500 scale?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Ooh! A 1/500 scale model of a 1/72 scale model with a 1/500 scale paint pot! :o

He could do it, too! ;D :thumbsup:

strobez

This discussion is only making me want to tackle the 1/700 scale "Desert Aircraft Carrier all-out attack" scene... I just need to figure out how to get some A-4s and some Kfirs in that scale...  The paint pot should be no problem. :)
Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

That's a difficult scene to portray and you have done it very, very well sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: strobez on November 19, 2019, 06:12:21 AM
...how to get some A-4s and some Kfirs in that scale...

Who do you know with a 3d printer?
Fred