North American AF-82/A-11 --- Finished (now with pics)

Started by kitnut617, November 01, 2019, 04:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Should stick the broad on top of the inter wing like she sunbathing.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

That might be a good idea Brad, where I was thinking of placing it was on the side of the cowling but it looks to be a bit too large. I'll play around with it before I dunk it in water.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Certainly looks the part mate  :thumbsup:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 14, 2019, 02:58:44 PM
Should stick the broad on top of the inter wing like she sunbathing.  ;D

Now if you put her on the underside she'd distract the AAA gunners as you were coming in to dump your load  ;) Mind you didn't the North Vietnamese use a lot of women in these roles ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 22, 2019, 12:52:46 PM
Maybe a pair of 2,000 lb bombs?

I've found these big bombs are fairly well represented in 1/72 but first some references

The resin bomb on the left is from the Airwaves Hawker Typhoon 1000lb bomb set. The olive drab painted one on the right is found in Airfix's Sabre Mk.4 box and it's very close to the same size.

These next photos show four bombs I have similar to the poster Jon posted.

The small one on the left is a 250lb bomb found in the Revell P-51B box, the next one to the right is a 500lb bomb which is in the Hasegawa B-47 box, the next one is the Sabre bomb of 1000lb, and the last one, the big one is found in Airfix's Skyraider box, and as it's twice as big as the 1000lb bomb, can only be a 2000lb bomb.

Here's what those big bombs look like of the Super Twin

Rick Lowe

TheChronicOne

Damn straight it does.  :mellow:

"Khajiit has wares...."
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Interesting shot with the figure for scale mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Cheers guys   :thumbsup:

Looking at that photo Jon posted of the guy sitting on the bomb, and judging where his leg is, the diameter of the bomb looks like it's the length of his knee to the bottom of his foot. The pic of the 1/72 bombs with the figure has sort of the same result.

Dizzyfugu

kitnut617

Thanks Dizzy --

Some sharp eyed member might have noticed I re-arranged the pylons   ;)  This came about while researching colours of the FFAR's, especially the bit sticking out the front. I read that a fully loaded LAU-10 weighed 680lb, 180lb heavier than the Mk-82 bombs I was going to put on the four inner pylons. So I switched the heavy duty pylon and the small pylon I had put near the fuselage on the outer wing around, putting the smaller one with the bunch of other small ones (they're spaced exactly like what's on the Skyraider), the heavy duty pylon is now spaced the same distance from the fuselage as the nearest one to that fuselage under the center wing. These two pylons also got switched from being a couple of small pylons to a couple of the more heavy duty pylons.  (note: all the pylons come from the Skyraider kit)

So now the LAU-10's will be mounted on the first two small pylon under the outer wings that are nearest the fuselage, then two Mk-82 bombs then the most outer small pylon will get either a SUU-14a dispenser or an ELQ-87 ECM pod, not decided which will go under which wing yet  ;D

The two heavy duty pylons under the outer wings will have the drop tanks you see in the pics just above, the two heavy duty pylons under the center wing, I'm trying not to break the little attachment pins (like I did on the outer pylons) so I can pose the model for photos with different load outs on them.

kitnut617

I had remembered that there was another kit which has these big 2000lbers too, in the Airfix P-61 Black Widow box.

kitnut617

I'm decaling at the moment, my plan was to use a bunch of stencils that come in one of the F-82 kits to busy up the look a bit. I've got half of them on but I have to admit, if there was ever a totally pointless plan this would be it --- you can hardly tell they're on  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

TheChronicOne

Hopefully they come through in photography even if only as "blips" on the finish. I was feeling the same way in the midst of decalling my F-15N but when all was said & done I was glad I took the time.

In other words, don't be dismayed; stick with it!  <_<
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

But you'll know they are there mate  ;) ;D