North American AF-82/A-11 --- Finished (now with pics)

Started by kitnut617, November 01, 2019, 04:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalles

I can see the images just fine, looks awesome, very menacing. Love the contra-rotating props, great work on the resin casting too  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: salt6 on November 08, 2019, 10:31:54 PM
Have you thought about the spent cases for the M61?

Yep! they're collected back into the storage area  ;) It has the link-less feed/recovery system

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 08, 2019, 03:24:05 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on November 08, 2019, 03:19:51 PM
Why aren't the pics showing?  :unsure:

Um,  I can see them ---  :-\  Can anyone else see the pics ?

OK, just me then. Oh well, 'tis what 'tis...

Keep up the good work, anyway.  :thumbsup:

TallEng

Me thinks the shortened Props, on account of the shockwaves/Blast effect from the M61
letting rip, might curl your blades that :o

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

kitnut617

The difference between the short blades and the standard blades is 2mm, so I had some thought about it and decided to go half way, I shortened the standard set by 1mm and squared off the tips.

The idea is that to take full advantage of the engine power, the props need to be close to the right size. I'll probably have to make the u/c legs a little longer but I need to be able for them to retract into the same space. I've got an idea what I'm going to do, but more about that later.

I've sorted the wing tip tanks, a couple of Shackleton ones work, and I've started modifying the fin/dorsal fillet, giving them a bit more area. The port side is done, now to do the starboard side.

kitnut617

I'm actually thinking it will be like a Grumman F8F's

rickshaw

Quote from: salt6 on November 11, 2019, 12:46:33 PM
Do the undercarriage like the Navy F4 Phantoms nose gear.

At least you didn't suggest he do it like the Royal Navy's F-4K nosegear:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on November 14, 2019, 03:34:19 AM
Quote from: salt6 on November 11, 2019, 12:46:33 PM
Do the undercarriage like the Navy F4 Phantoms nose gear.

At least you didn't suggest he do it like the Royal Navy's F-4K nosegear:

That's a sort of 'Crocodile Dundee' confrontation.

'Call that a nose gear extension, THAT'S a nose gear extension!'  ;D ;D ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Snowtrooper

Hmmm. Never realized that even US Navy Phantoms used the bridle instead of the tow bar to connect to the catapult shuttle, I thought that the Crusader was last such plane. :unsure: The more you learn.

kitnut617

I don't think a hydraulic extending system is the way to go, the P-47 originally had it for it's main u/c legs, but with too many problems it was revised as a mechanical system.

My thinking is it will go along these lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj6xCC3vues

kitnut617

Here's what I've done with the undercarriage, I've extended the legs to a scale foot. I changed what wheels it will have to something a bit more robust, I had to make a disc for the brakes

kitnut617

And the majority of the model is glued together, except the new cowlings, I'll glue those on last when I have all the pylons glued on.

Here I'm starting to place those pylons (snaffled from a Skyraider), there will be fourteen of them, six each under the outer wings and two under the center wing.

The large underwing pylons will have interchangeable loads, here I'm trying out extra fuel tanks, the backstory will explain these are for ferry flights.  The rest of the pylons will be the smaller ones you find on the Skyraider.

rickshaw

Looking good there, mate.  Must be a real whirlwind with those contraprops!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.