North American AF-82/A-11 --- Finished (now with pics)

Started by kitnut617, November 01, 2019, 04:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Almost done ---- here's some pics of it kitted out for a ferry flight.

After a few trial fit-ups, I found the pin-up nose art fitted here quite well, it looks like the figure is sitting on the front edge of the wing and leaning back at the same time.

And the pilot of this aircraft is even claiming a couple of Migs   ;D

The pics reveal you can actually see the stencils, unfortunately, you can also see the decal surround too ---  :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Blimey, it's carrying more fuel OUTSIDE the airframe than inside it!  :o

Looks terrific though.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Oooh she's defo looking the business now ! Nice work Robert !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

major

Oooowwerr!!!!! :wub: Nice! :thumbsup:

I'm patiently waiting on the postman! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Old Wombat

For some reason I'm only getting broken image link symbols. :(

I'll try late & see what happens.

EDIT: Of course, when I post the previous comment the images appear! :banghead:

Very nice! :thumbsup:

She should make a fair distance with all that fuel, Hawaii to Guam, perhaps? ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

More fuel; more COOL.    Or Maybe "CYOOL"   ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

Cheers guys ---

The story is that after they were refurbished at the NAA plant in California, they flew to Vietnam with stop-overs at Hawaii and Guam. Drop tanks were in demand by all other aircraft in Vietnam so any extra tanks available were attached as the pylon shackles were capable of carrying anything in the US inventory, and the aircraft sent on their way (tanks full of course). The extra tanks (under the center wing) were then transferred to which ever unit needed them once in theater.

These two extra tanks though have marginal clearance at the rear end, maybe about 8 or 9 inches. I'll see if I can get a photo of it but right now I'm gluing on the ordnance under the outer wings.

kitnut617

Another thing I have to sort out, the glossy appearance ---- I've used Humbrol satin-clear on it, it turned out more glossy than the gloss -clear  :banghead: :banghead:  I wasn't planning on giving it any other coats of anything but it might need another try ---

kitnut617

Quote from: salt6 on January 16, 2020, 06:50:52 AM
Naplam on those hardpoint too.

The latest load-out I'm working on at the moment has a couple of those big ones you find in the Hasegawa weapons sets.  I was trying to make the four heavy duty pylons so I could switch alternate loads on them,  unfortunately I broke one of the locating pins on each outer pylon so the load on those had to be glued on. The pylons under the center wing will still be able to be switched around (until those pins get broken off that is)

kitnut617

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 16, 2020, 06:44:35 AM
Another thing I have to sort out, the glossy appearance ---- I've used Humbrol satin-clear on it, it turned out more glossy than the gloss -clear  :banghead: :banghead:  I wasn't planning on giving it any other coats of anything but it might need another try ---

Well I've sorted this problem out, I gave the tinlet a good mixing and then a shaking every hour or so afterwards. Then I tried a small area to see what the result would be. Well it was the same glossy finish  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I had to resort to mixing in some clear-flat/matt, the tinlet was down at around the 3/4 full mark of the satin so I topped it up with the flat and then thoroughly mixed it again.  RESULT !!!!! now the finish looks right ----  photos will be taken on Monday as I've finished the model, all the load out is on, and all the alternative ordnance painted up for the photo shoot ---

kitnut617

Some practice shots, they've been done outside but it's not very sunny at the moment. Just wanted to see how they would turn out.

Old Wombat

Very good! :thumbsup:

Cloudy days may reduce the light but they diffuse it, too, so you don't get excessive contrast between light & shadow. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

Thanks Guy.

Thanks for the photography tip too, I'll keep that in mind  :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-