DONE @p.2 +++ L-159 ALCA, Guàrdies Aèries de la República Catalana

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 13, 2019, 11:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

There's a third one in the pipeline - conceptually similar to the Scottish Gripen, though, but this GB is a good thematic opportunity to build it.

I accidently found an interesting real world occurrence that involves Spain and somewhat indirectly Airbus Industries. But the story offers serious whiffing fodder. So, what if... Catalonia had become independent a couple of years ago (too), and would need some cheap/light military aircraft on short notice?

Stay tuned.  :mellow:

zenrat

Topical too.

Is it too much to hope it's going to be a Catalina?   ;D

Roundels based on the Independent Catalan flag are going to look great.  Any chance of rudder treatments similar to that used by Cuba?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Well, I have figured out a roundel design, but I am not certain about a tail decoration - even though the aircraft deserves some. Maybe just some red and yellow stripes? We'll see...

And, no, it's not a Catalina.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 14, 2019, 04:54:12 AM
Well, I have figured out a roundel design, but I am not certain about a tail decoration - even though the aircraft deserves some. Maybe just some red and yellow stripes? We'll see...

Red and yellow stripes would probably be right for the tail/rudder. By the end of the Civil War there were some Catalonian units involved in a two way conflict with the Nationalists and the Soviets, but I'm not sure if they had an aerial contingent ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Work has started here, and turned into a medium nightmare because the kit turned out to be less "good" than initially expected (since it's a relatively new mold/model kit).  :-\

Dizzyfugu

Despite serious "body horror" on this one progress is good and steady. Basic painting has been completed, and my first attempts to apply my roundel creations, well, failed. While the basid design worked, the roundels turned out to be much too big, the whole thing looked ridiculous. So I decided to rip the decals off again and try something new, smaller.  :-\ More complicated, but I think it will look much better and balanced.

TomZ

Ohhh, careful!
My Catalan F-18 got so much discussion going 2 years a go that Chris had to "Archive" the thread.....

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Dizzyfugu

Yes, I am aware of the political discussion potential of this one - but it's just a model, after all. The Scottish Gripen did not cause public unrest, so I am positive about this one.  ;)

Snowtrooper

Alpha Jet? Spain was actually supposed to be somewhat interested in them when Luftwaffe started retiring theirs (what with it being more modern than their C.101 trainers and many with less flight hours). Dornier merged with Daimler Aerospace, only to be sold to Fairchild before DASA itself merged with Matra and CASA into EADS, or Airbus Military. ;D

Dizzyfugu

The second attempt with the home-made roundels looks much better and balanced - they are much smaller now. I also decided to add a home-printed Catalonian flag to the fin, and the aircraft will carry a suitable squadron badge, basically the "burro", the Catalonian donkey (as a kind of counter mascot to the Spanish bull):

On the model, just 5mm in size, this rather looks like a fat, black cat, though...  ;D

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 19, 2019, 11:07:09 AM
Direction is good...  ;)
Ah-ha!

In 1973, with the United Nations weapons embargo against Portugal, the Air Force faced problems purchasing further numbers of close air support aircraft. An attempt was then made to acquire more Fiat G.91s from Germany by having Dornier disassembling the aircraft and then selling them as spare parts to Switzerland and Spain. These spare parts would be later sold to Portugal and assembled locally with different serial numbers. However, the deal did not follow through as the German government vetoed it.

So what if the German government didn't veto it, and the "spare parts" made it as far as Spain before they were stopped, and Spain assembled them for their own use...?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Snowtrooper on November 20, 2019, 05:23:00 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 19, 2019, 11:07:09 AM
Direction is good...  ;)
Ah-ha!

In 1973, with the United Nations weapons embargo against Portugal, the Air Force faced problems purchasing further numbers of close air support aircraft. An attempt was then made to acquire more Fiat G.91s from Germany by having Dornier disassembling the aircraft and then selling them as spare parts to Switzerland and Spain. These spare parts would be later sold to Portugal and assembled locally with different serial numbers. However, the deal did not follow through as the German government vetoed it.

So what if the German government didn't veto it, and the "spare parts" made it as far as Spain before they were stopped, and Spain assembled them for their own use...?

EADS is actually involved in my background story, but not as a manufacturer.  ;)

DogfighterZen

That wouid've been really bad for Iberian relations... not sure what the outcome would be but my guess is that it wouldn't be pretty...
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Finished this one yesterday, pics and story to follow, ETA this weekend.  :lol:

Not 100% satisfied with this one, because the kit violently resisted my assembly attempts. And I am also (still) not certain about the combination of the (relatively bright) national markings with a rather subdued paint scheme. But you might judge for yourselves soon.