T-51D "Sentinel" Trainer

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 06, 2005, 02:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

I second that. But shouldn't we move this conversation into the Morsair thread, Brian?

Brian da Basher

Oops good catch there Zac. My love of Marine Ground Attack kept me from seeing the topic line apparently.   :dum:

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Well, cowl casting went pretty well.   This was the "last chance" mold that I knew I'd have to clean up any castings which resulted anyhow.

As usual, the Smooth-On ™ casting resin created a lot of surface air bubbles as I find it often does in two-part molds.

The resin is injected using a large capacity syringe (helps to have a wife who's a Veterinarian).

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

K5054NZ

Nice work! You should get into the accessories business  ;)  

Ollie

There be air bubbles in yer cast nose matey!

:ar:

:wub:  

John Howling Mouse

Yep, like I said, on try number 3 here, I slathered the master subject with Vaseline and did not care about the surface condition, just the shape.

I was going to fill in all the surface pinholes but many of them are in a nice straight line with the mold separation line and look just like rivets.

So, wth, I might just leave them be!

-_-  

K5054NZ

Progress? Is it forthcoming? I just thought it was worth a try, considering even Mr Fontaine has given up!

John Howling Mouse

The NICE way to put this is to simply say:

"Looks like I have some putty work ahead of me."  --sigh--

:unsure:  :o  :wacko:  :zzz:  

cthulhu77

Can smell the putty fumes from here !  Once done, that is going to be awesome...that'll snarl the jmn's to no degree...

John Howling Mouse

Yikes!  With the amount of Tamiya putty I use in a month, I figure I should be one of their spokesmen:

Close up of the carnage:

John Howling Mouse

It's finally white!  Seven coats of primer white have eradicated any hint of Monogram's raised details.

I will put in some very subtle (I hope) traces of panel lines etc. with a 2H pencil later.

She'll have near black anti-glare panel and walkways as well as red wingtips and tailfin.

Eddie M.

Sweet!!!! B) Here's an alternative to your what if. You could just add UN colors to it and becomes a peacekeeping observer. :P  Okay, sorry. I think I inhaled some putty fumes and it went to my head. ;)  :lol:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Nice work there Mr. Howling Mouse! I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed!

Brian da Basher

lancer

It's looking very good, but I have to ask - Is this thing ever going to be finished
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

John Howling Mouse

QuoteIt's looking very good, but I have to ask - Is this thing ever going to be finished
Well, MOST of the difficult parts are done now: shortening and blending in the aft fuselage, shaping, molding and casting the new nose c/w boxed in nosegear wheel well, scratchbuilding a two-seater cockpit, putting together a new T-Tail fin and stabilizer, cutting out and resurfacing the ventral air intake, relocating the main landing gear aft, sanding/puttying.

The remaining (huge) hurdle is shaping/molding/vacforming the new canopy to fit the custom cockpit aperture.

What, Me Worry?

:unsure: