T-51D "Sentinel" Trainer

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 06, 2005, 02:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

For those of you who did not see this via the discussion threads on MSN while the Forum was down, some progress shots.  The panel lines are simply drawn right on the white paint with a pencil.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

SimonR

I like all your stuff, but this is one of my favourites. I love  the fantastic amount of hard work and craftsmanship that's gone into a such a subtle, realistic looking whif.  
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

John Howling Mouse

Came time to throw on some form of exhaust port for the turboprop.
Those familiar with the Piper Enforcer have seen this on the port side of that plane's fuselage:

To approximate this, I ground out a shape with my Dremel rotary tool:

1. How nervous do you think I was doing this on a finished paintjob?  
2. Why didn't I do this long before the fuselage was even assembled?
3. Why do I enjoy driving against the flow on crowded one-way highways?

I painted a black oval with silver grill detail for the exhaust port.  The slanted exhaust itself was created by carefully making two parallel, diagonal cuts in Evergreen tubestock (not as easy as it sounds but I got lucky).  I thinned out the tubing's wall thickness using sandpaper wrapped around a bladeless X-Acto knife handle.

I think it will be okay once attached.  Will not have the finesse of a Wolfik, but it's getting there.   ^_^

Close up of the little bit of slanted tube:

Damian2

Duuuuude you rock! But you knew that already  B)  
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Brian da Basher

I'm completely astounded as I see those latest pics Mr Howling Mouse! That exhaust looks like it completely belongs there! Ahhh to have the whif-abilities of the great Man-Ho!

Makes me seriously consider macrame or scrapbooking as a hobby...

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Hopefully, now that the exhaust is actually in place, it  still looks like it belongs there.  In person, you can see some signs of clear blue for overheating on parts of the exhaust and there is a brownish-dark grey tinge to the rear inner lip of the exhaust.  But you can't any of that in the photos.  Oh well.

Brian da Basher

Wow Mr Howling Mouse that exhaust is perfect! I cry tears of joy at your wonderful accomplishment and ball my fists in frustration as I gaze upon my own projects.

Anyone know where I can get macrame supplies cheap? I quit.

;)

Fantabulous as always, oh Great Man-Ho! Keep dem updates coming!

Brian da Basher

Gary F

JHM,

Your project is looking great!  Nice to see my Enforcer pics have come in handy! ;)

regards,
Gary F

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, Gary.
Yours are the only decent "walk around" pics I've ever seen of the Enforcer on the 'net or otherwise.
Best model reference shots imaginable!   ;)

BlackOps

Wow! I had forgotten about this one, looking good :)

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Captain Canada

Baz-tastic !

Can't wait to see her all dolled up in maple leafs.......

might be the only ones we see after mid-April !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

I'll be working on our plant turnaround for the next 55 days but thought I'd upload at least some semblance of so-called "progress" anyhow.

The 94,000 decals are in place.  The designation is officially CT-151 Sentinel.

Here is the update:

Eddie M.

That is absolutely beautiful! I'm speechless. :)
   Eddie
Look behind you!

The Rat

Whoa! It looks like Baz might actually get one finished, can we stand the strain?!  :P

From those pics it is definitely worth the wait, good job!  ;)  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

BlackOps

This one just completely falls into the "WORK of ART" category!  That is a bunch of decals...but so worth the effort  :wub:

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.