T-51D "Sentinel" Trainer

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 06, 2005, 02:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quoteit's eerie how many of us come up with the same ideas (I've always imagined someone throwing a jet engine into the fabulous Mustang shape too, only a slightly different configuration).   :wub:
Now, go BUILD it (and post the pics, too)!!!    ^_^
Different? Please, post your description, dear, I would draw and post a picture, and someone would build maybe (maybe myself in 2007, I will not start again in 2005 by such a heavy scratch-building)... How different? please, tell us, dear dreamer... :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

John Howling Mouse

Hey, Jeff!  Have thinned down the wheel wells and made apertures for them to fit farther aft on the wings.  Should have them and the wings together this weekend.
Am taking Monday off but that's for secret Valentine's Day preparations.

Tophe: My Jetstang would have T-33 style intakes sculpted on to the sides of the fuselage, blending back to two small and relatively unimpressive engines (as many were during the fledgling years of jet-powered flight).  Most of the nose shape would remain intact, just that the spinner would become a stationary shape, maybe housing a small radar???  The ventral intake would vanish and it might possibly slip into becoming a T-Tail (you gasp!).

I have no worries about the tail heat as there are numerous examples of similar concepts.  Little bit of cladding and away you go.  I'll try to do up a sketch.

:)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

I have no worries about the tail heat as there are numerous examples of similar concepts.
And besides, all the really cool a/c smoke !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

Looking good.

You know what that plane needs?

Slats, since there are no flaps!

;)  ;)  

John Howling Mouse

Oh sure, NOW you tell me!

:lol:  

Ollie

Of course I do!

Now get going and cut up that wing!

:ar:  :cheers:  

lancer

Oh man!!!!! THAT is some serious detail work there Baz. Can't wait to see the finished product
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

NARSES2

Those last few photo's sure bring it to life

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gary

Wow, talk about inspriation. Now I have an urge to get some stuff cooking.

Thanks Baz, that simply rocks.  
Getting back into modeling

John Howling Mouse

Thanks guys.
My little "cold" turned into the flu today so I'm home from work and running to the can every few minutes but I'll try to link to a collage set of images of my scratchbuilt/kitbashed cockpit pieces made this weekend: converted instrument panels/coaming, new floor, control sticks and other bits.

:wacko:  :blink:  

Captain Canada

Wow, great work, Baz !

You sure put aloot of effort into these babies, eh ? They should be on display, see how many folks you can fool, or at the very least, confuse the hell out of !

Can't wait to see her all done...and you're right, it's neat to see a collage like that, of how things went together !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

noxioux

Very cool.  I can't wait to see it all together.

For a faster method of cutting matches to inside curved surfaces, you can try oil-based modeling clay.  Lube up the inside with something thin and easy to clean (like forehead sweat), then just push a pinch of modeling clay inside the curve, take a hobby knife and trim off the back side so it will lay relatively flat, pop out the clay and use it to trace your curve.  You want the clay a little on the stiff side, and if you're careful not to pinch it out of whack, it'll give you a pretty accurate template, and cut down on the back-and forth of cutting and matching.

John Howling Mouse

I've tried that, too.  I put the plasticine in the fridge for a bit first to stiffen it up.
I just never found the result as promising as the clay made it seem...

...and my pencil kept getting dirty!  (kidding!)

nev

Fantastic paint job Baz, on top of your amazing scratchbuilding.....

*bows to the master*
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

The nose cowl's interior looks more like the cutaway of a sailing man o' war with all the bracing and everything.  Lots of odd-ball cuts in the various layer's of Monogram's kit to end up with a nosegear wheel well c/w its door, a lip to attach the door to, and a box inside, braced to hold the nosegear strut firmly (I hope).