T-51D "Sentinel" Trainer

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 06, 2005, 02:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

And, no, I don't really know how I'm going to pull that off, just yet.  Will likely thin down some aluminum tubing and squash it a bit...
You could also use drinking straws. They have nice thin walls to begin with. I've used them in one or two models now, and the results aren't bad.

The Rat

QuoteYou could also use drinking straws. They have nice thin walls to begin with. I've used them in one or two models now, and the results aren't bad.
I'll vouch for that too. I used some on the old Frog Wyvern many years ago, looked quite good.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

John Howling Mouse

That should work.  Good idea.

Come to think of it, what is the common straw made from?

Unpaintable polyethylene or some kind of basic styrene, PET, or ????

See?  Always with the complications in my head.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

You could also use drinking straws.
Sure...but they're no good for drinking beer !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

The straw I've used are paintable (with Humbrol enamels at least). I use them as cheap eye droppers for mixing paint sometimes (subjecting them to wet paint for hours on end) and that doesn't seem to affect them.
They're available in various calibres, as well (McDonalds has huge ones).  

Leigh

and while yer there don't forget to grab a handful of their coffee stirrers, a million uses on the work bench.

Nice looking plane there Baz, you really do go the extra mile don't you?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

John Howling Mouse

Was so happy with myself when I shaped the cowl/fuselage extension plug out of MDF wood to nicely extend the complex tapers of the fuselage's contours to mate with the prior nose.

Was not "perfect" by any means but looked very promising considering the fact that I was mostly just eyeballing the cuts and subsequent sanding/shaping.

I have had problems with CA glue not working b/w the porous MDF wood and plastic before so, this time, I used a touch of Zip-Kicker accelerator first.

The MDF plug bonded instantly----and I mean instantly----the millisecond I put the two pieces together...naturally, in slightly skewed positioning.
And I couldn't even pull them apart to reposition.

"Aw crap" has become my new modeling mantra.  I glanced over at my bottle of CA debonder, considering it for a moment but then figured I had no idea what the combination of chemicals might end up doing to either the plastic or the MDF.

I had already boxed in a nosegear well and intended to make mold of this forward assembly for future combat version of this What If.  There's enough work in that nose that I don't want to scratch build it again...

Now, I'm forced to first build up the problem areas of the join with further CA glue
and resand the combined pieces.

zzzZZZzzz  zzzZZZzzz

:zzz:   Me:  :dum:  :dum:

John Howling Mouse

Pop quiz: one item in the pic below is a cookie, the other is my mucked up cowl.
Can you tell?
<Hint: the cookie is the smoother of the two>

nev

Barry, here is some light relief, just to show its not just you who does crazy, insanity inducing things whilst modelling

check out my undercariage legs
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

You know, Nev, it really did look just fine.

How did it turn out in the end?  Were you able to remove the protruding landing gear struts above the wings?
You were going to post a pic of the finished product, no?

John Howling Mouse

QuoteNow that your F-86 T-Tail is back in the forefront, are you going to shelve the Corsair and the T-51 projects for for a while?  
Nope!  Just started sanding down the Morsair again, in fact.   :zzz:

Plus: my "regular" non-What If Corsair for contrast with the Morsair just got airbashed ™ (my version of airbrushing) in its 3 Pacific tones.

Pulled off all the masking from the F-86T.  So far, the SabreHawk looks okay, just not very unusual or outstanding.

Haven't made a mold box for my menagerie of seaplane floats yet, though.

^_^  ;)  

nev

QuoteYou know, Nev, it really did look just fine.

How did it turn out in the end?  Were you able to remove the protruding landing gear struts above the wings?
You were going to post a pic of the finished product, no?
not my model barry, just providing you with a link to "comfort" you with the thought that you're not the only one driven insane by plastic models  :wacko:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

Isn't this the week where he finds out his elder sister is actually his mum and his wife has an affair with a doctor?

NARSES2

QuoteIsn't this the week where he finds out his elder sister is actually his mum and his wife has an affair with a doctor?
And the doctor turns out to be ummmm trans-gender ?

The first part of that line happens or happened a lot more then people think by the way. I know, not to me personaly understand but very close. Quite an erie feeling to suddenly find family relationships changing at 30 years of age ! Turned out well though.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

elmayerle

*Laughs* For a really twisted family tree, I strongly recommend reading "All You Zombies" by Robert Heinlein.  I don't think they can come any more twisted than that. :D :D
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin