DONE @p.4 +++ PKP Class SU-29; former DB Class V160 under Polish flag

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 17, 2019, 08:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 04, 2019, 01:58:56 AM

I love that bit of the line to Torquay, but in all honesty have no idea what possessed them to build it there in the first place ? Although maybe there was no other option.

I see they now want to ruin the beach by moving the track away from the cliffs and out to sea, but that would mean burying the beach under concrete.

It was Brunel who did it, and it was the easiest option as any further inland would have meant very steep grades.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

More progress yesterday, I started work on the upper hull. The paint on the locomotive turned out to be thick and and very resilient, so a lot of classic wet sanding is necessary. Nevertheless, some cosmetic work (e. g. getting rid of the trim around the upper row of louvers, different headlights in style with the "new" operator) is under way. At the moment, the locomotive's body has a dedicated Mad Max touch!

A Deutsche Bundesbahn Class V160 under foreign flag...  (Whif/modified Märklin 3075)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A Deutsche Bundesbahn Class V160 under foreign flag...  (Whif/modified Märklin 3075)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Hobbes

loupgarou

Nice to see something different in a group build. Aircraft have a nearly absolute domination.
Given the monster headlights, I presume you're planning a country that never sees the sun.  ;)
BTW, strength/hardness of paint is logical, considering that trains are to be handled VERY MUCH.
Do you have a layout to run it on?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Hobbes on December 05, 2019, 10:51:08 AM
Those are some pretty big headlights.

Yes, reminds of a VW T2 bus  ;). But, as will be revealed soon, this detail is "authentic" for what I want to create...  :wacko: Not certain about the sunlight problem - I have been there, and there was daylight! No idea about the reason for these things.

Unfortunately, I do not have a proper railroad set (space issue, and also budget reasons) anymore, just a test oval for maintenance. Not certain if there will be beauty pics for this one, even though I'd love to set the finished item into scene!

Dizzyfugu

Here's a final interim picture from the body work process...

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and, with coat of grey primer, thing do not look bad at all, even though I will have to take care of some small flaws (e .g. at the headlamps):

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

rickshaw

Going to be exported downunder for use by Australian National Railways?   :o
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

No, not that far away from Germany...  ;)

But I agree, with the two (garish) greens and the yellow fronts, the V 160 has now a certain, very British look! Unintentional, though, since the livery was/is inspired by (current) real world locomotives.

What actually worked very well was the change of the headlights. Not only did the cosmetic surgery stunt work, the "face" has also been changed enough that the V 160 heritage is not obvious at first sight. The livery helps, too.

loupgarou

Hmmm... a country where BIG headlights are necessary, at least for much of the year, and green is a rare colour? Svalbard Islands National Railways?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

It's more common than you'd think! It will become a DE 1504 unit of the PKP (Polskie Koleje Państwowe; Polish State Railways), under the designation SU-29.

Here's some inspiration/reference (note the surreal green tones):

The large headlights have a long tradition: these were already featured on steam locomotives after WWII:

The original idea for this build/conversion came from an different corner though: while searching for fictional locomotives I came across a bunch of BR 216s in a wide range of European liveries, apparently offered in gift or starter packs from Piko and Roco. There were even two Polish versions, but both looked totally "cheap" and ugly (they were rather intended as toys than collector items, I might add pics if I can find them again) - so I thought: "This could be done (much) better". And at the moment things are looking quite good!

NARSES2

Kit will know, but weren't some British Rail loco's in that scheme ? (As well as the dark blue and yellow)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu