F-102, stealth fighter "cover" and support *finished*

Started by sandiego89, November 22, 2019, 07:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Thinking about a bit of IR suppression.  Not sure if it will make it on the final build, but the packaging tube for Krazy glue, my go to superglue, is a good fit. 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 29, 2019, 02:42:34 PM
Thinking about a bit of IR suppression.  Not sure if it will make it on the final build, but the packaging tube for Krazy glue, my go to superglue, is a good fit. 

It is indeed
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sideshowbob9

Love the IR suppressor idea. If emulating the F-117As performance, reheat wouldn't really be needed all that much. May I suggest some kind of small blade antenna on the spine for secure comms/datalink/telemetry with their stealthy cousins?

sandiego89

Maybe the nose needs something. I made a RTV mold and cast a few resin F-102 noses to experiment.

Dave "Sandiego89"

comrade harps

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 01, 2019, 04:55:41 PM
Maybe the nose needs something. I made a RTV mold and cast a few resin F-102 noses to experiment.

Just thinking that it wouldn't really need a radar, but would at least need to look like it had one. What it would need for F-117A training purposes is a FLIR.
Whatever.

sandiego89

Quote from: salt6 on December 02, 2019, 07:52:46 AM
I'd suggest looking at the Viggen for your IR suppression ideas.

Thanks Salt, the Viggen tailpipe is indeed an elegant piece of engineering - more for thrust reverse I believe but likely had some IR reduction benefits as well. I was thinking of something less sophisticated, like the Israeli A-4 tail pipe extensions or the U-2 "sugar scoop".

Did a few Mirages or Cheetahs have extended tail pipes, or am I dreaming that? Others?
Dave "Sandiego89"

rickshaw

The A-4's tailpipe wasn't IR suppression but protection to the engine from IR missiles.  The Israelis found that IR missiles would litterally home in on the engine exhaust and often damage but not destroy the engine, so they thought making the missile explode further away would given them some measure of protection.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

Very cool. Nice work on the new noses. One of these days I'm going to have to try that resin copy thing !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 03, 2019, 06:05:25 AM
Very cool. Nice work on the new noses. One of these days I'm going to have to try that resin copy thing !

:thumbsup:

Thank you. I was very intimidated to try my first stabs at RTV mold making and then casting with 2 part resin, but now that I have done a few my confidence is growing and I am hooked. Simple shapes like this F-102 radome just require a one piece mold that maybe took me 10 minutes to glue together some scratch styrene into a square shape box to create the mold. Stuffed some play dough to fill the radome then poured the RTV mold material over the radome. Let sit overnight, then popped the radome out. Now had the mold, and could pop out resin copies all day long (30 second mix time, pour, then I let sit for a few hours).   

Give it a try!
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Nose work.  The F-117 had two targeting/designating FLIR's, one in the nose and one under the nose, these were first trialed on the F-102's used in the development program. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

Captain Canada

Thanks for the tips ! I mean noses. No, tips.... :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Black, but will have a bit of disruption in the scheme....

Dave "Sandiego89"

Dizzyfugu

I cannot help it, but this thing cries for Red Stars...  ;)

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit