Hawker Hobby FGR 2a

Started by chrisonord, November 27, 2019, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

When asked to build a super sonic  version  of their highly successful Hunter,  Hawker  presented  several  ideas to the air ministry,  one  being  a completely new aircraft  powered by  two  reheated De Haviland  Gyron junior engines.  The aircraft  was to be fitted  with a radar and armed with  6 20 mm cannons and  up to four Firestreak missiles.  The aircraft  had a secondary  ground  attack and reconnaissance capability.  The aircraft  in reality  could just  about  attain  mach 1.2 in level flight,  but the RAF  were still happy with its  performance.  The aircraft  served  over seas  as an interceptor  based at bomber bases  and as a ground attack aircraft. The aircraft was also  cleared to carry a freefall nuclear weapon.
The kit is rhe Anigrand  XF-88,  and it had a few warping  and non alignment  problems,  as well as a canopy that didn't  want to fit. The nose has some  weight in it but  I obviously  didn't  put  enough in.
Chris
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yHJL7sj2HWSA2t5k6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5686ZicAPu2QSTyk7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MmzqbB8gsnE9NU9r8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TtPS4vQg7V2Misfi9
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

TWO Gyrons?  :o :o :o

Not short of horsepower then?

That looks quite the part Chris, you tend to forget about the XF-88 when having thoughts about US stuff in RAF service.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Brutish! I love it. No typo.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 27, 2019, 01:15:05 PM
TWO Gyrons?  :o :o :o

Not short of horsepower then?

That looks quite the part Chris, you tend to forget about the XF-88 when having thoughts about US stuff in RAF service.  :thumbsup:
When I  saw the kit in Anigrand 's  catalogue,  I  instantly thought,  that looks quite  British in design,  so I  looked up some  better pictures of it and imagined it  in the camouflage scheme the model wears  now.  It had to be a Hawker  product,  as they used to build  Hunters  round the corner from my girlfriends house,  in Blackpool. I struggled to find it a name, and Hobby  stuck,  even though it is too portly to be a  bird of prey.  Glad you like  it, it certainly  tested my patience.
Chris

63cpe

Yeah, that's looking absolutely gorgeous! Well done. :thumbsup:

David aka 63cpe

chrisonord

Captain Canada

Cool. Looks great in that camo. So different without the big tip tanks as well
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

That looks great and disturbingly plausible!  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Now I've built an Anigrand XF-88 and I didn't recognise it. Well done Chris, that's come out well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Thankyou for the comments everyone,  they have  given me the  foot up my backside I  needed, as I  struggled with this one,  as I  am with another build I am  doing.  The joys :rolleyes:
Thankyou  Chris,  I  remember you  saying that you had built  one  of these,  and thinking about it  the inspiration came  from an aircraft  illustrated in the British  secret  projects  book I have.
Chris

Rheged

This does indeed look like a developed Hunter; it's got a  "Hawker" look. Well done, both on a well modelled aircraft and a plausible backstory
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

Nice one Chris   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But maybe powered by the Gyron Junior, the Gyron is a really massive engine ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 28, 2019, 02:48:13 PM
Nice one Chris   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But maybe powered by the Gyron Junior, the Gyron is a really massive engine ---
I originally  meant to  put the gyron Junior  Robert as I  did some  homework on equivalent sized  engines to the ones fitted to the  XF-88,  I  forgot  and just  left it.
Cheers
Chris

chrisonord

Quote from: Rheged on November 28, 2019, 02:35:16 PM
This does indeed look like a developed Hunter; it's got a  "Hawker" look. Well done, both on a well modelled aircraft and a plausible backstory
Thankyou  ;D
Chris

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"