Sea Typhoon

Started by Gary, January 07, 2005, 08:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

On, it's a crappy Airfix Kit, and two days of overspray and fingerprints in the paint, but here she is in all her glory.

Getting back into modeling

Gary

Gary

Don't know if you can see the rudder style tail hook or no in this pic. That and a centerling bomb rack for the Torpedo (Airfix Beaufighter kit) and some modified P38 fuel tanks on the wings.

Gary

And lets not forget the 1/2 pound of autobody filler the, count 'em, 11 sinkmarks and the space in the wing root.

But it was kinda fun finishing something.

Joe C-P

Well, I like it.  B)  And those pics look great!  :ar:

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

John Howling Mouse

Absolutely beautiful!   That's one sleek looking bird.

Wish I could build them that clean and take such professional looking photos, to boot.  Mine have to be weathered to conceal all the flaws!!   :D

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

TsrJoe

that looks rreally sweet...neat modelling too...nice one imwfo!

cheers, joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Ollie

Good job Gary!

But like I said before, fin flash is backwards, the red is always in front!

;)  ;)

I really love it.  Your drop tanks seem to be close to the gears...  On the real Tiffie, the underwing racks were farther outboard.  But hey, it's a What-If, so who cares!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Gary

Hey Baz, the photos are simple, Natural light in the living room, make sure it's a cloudy day to flatten the light, a sheet of kiddy school bristol board and a tv tray. Digi camers set on macro and the model mid way down the sheet so lot's of reflected light. And No flash. Sometmes I crop out the extra in Photoshop but that's usually only to lower the file size.

John Howling Mouse

QuoteBut like I said before, fin flash is backwards, the red is always in front!
I believe there were not one but TWO RAF Squadrons which were manned by American volunteers and, to distinguish their origins, the fin-flash was purposely reversed.

[now, don't go looking this up 'cause I just made it up for IMWFO's benefit, eh?!]

:)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Gary

QuoteGood job Gary!

But like I said before, fin flash is backwards, the red is always in front!

;)  ;)

I really love it.  Your drop tanks seem to be close to the gears...  On the real Tiffie, the underwing racks were farther outboard.  But hey, it's a What-If, so who cares!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Awwww crap! I was using a BW fleet air arm photo to select the decals and danged if it didn't look darker forward!

As far as the tanks go, It's the airfix kit bomb rack dimples in the wings. I was tempted to shave them off, but I had invested so much body fill at this point I simply didn't feel like adding more. So with the racks in tplace, what to do with them? Answer, drop tanks. I wanted Fury tanks but didn't have any so I chopped the back of some teardrop tanks, put them in a drill chuck and sanded them to shape. Volia, somthinf semi resembling Fury tanks.

Now to do this puppy right I'd have used the Academy Typhoon, sait to hell with bomb racks and so on.  

Ollie

He he he...  Don't worry Gary, she looks just top, ya know...

:wub:  :wub:

There's just one problem with it though, what will we do with Fireflies now?

:ar:  

Radish

Pilot is Jean-Paul de Vere (French) and hence blue leading edge on fin flash.
:lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

So.......
what to do with a Monogram 1/48th Typhoon?

Royal Navy?
Soviet?
Italian Co-belligerant?

Yep, three lined up, it's a GREAT kit, but others need to be done first.

:lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Leigh

Hey Gary what's all that white stuff outside of your window I'm not familiar with anything like that. Are those  your christmas decorations? B)  

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models