Something a bit different for anti-air

Started by maxmwill, December 08, 2019, 12:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmwill

Been kicking around an idea that was inspired by a drawing on Pinterest. At the time, I didn't know what this little 3 wheel utility scooter was, but it had mounted in the bed, a quartet of .50 cal. After a bit of digging, I learned that it was a Mazda K360, the Japanese equivalent of the Cushman utility scooter, and like the Cushman, very common in Japan. The drawing struck me as kind of ridiculous, a little scooter being used this way, but then, the Italians mounted a 75mm recoilless rifle on Vespa motor scooters, so there is that. I found a model of it on EvilBay, and learned that there is a series of these, Arii 1/32 Owners Club series, so perhaps more interesting ideas there.

I have the vehicle, so tried to find the guns and possibly the mount, which has been not as easy. But other ordinance? Such as TOW missiles, or whatever would be applicable size-wise.

JayBee

I want one for real life  :wacko: Having to use a mobility scooter on occasions to get about, it is amazing how you become invisible when using it. Pedestrians just do not see you. I have considered a long handled cattle prod but four .5 MGs sounds even better.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Get one of those multi-chime air horns Jim, then you can blast them out of the way.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: maxmwill on December 08, 2019, 12:25:21 AM
I have the vehicle, so tried to find the guns and possibly the mount, which has been not as easy. But other ordinance? Such as TOW missiles, or whatever would be applicable size-wise.

IIRC, there's an M50 mit around in 1:35 - with no less than six 106mm recoilless guns... A "Hammerhead" TOW launcher could also work, even though the boxy design does not work well with the round K360.

There's also an 1:35 kit from Revell of the lightweight German Ozelot AA-system:

JayBee

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 08, 2019, 05:09:05 AM

IIRC, there's an M50 mit around in 1:35 - with no less than six 106mm recoilless guns...

Ah! ONTOS.
The kit is by ACADEMY, and looks very nice in the box. I must get round to building it some day.

However I think that 6 recoilless anti-tank rifle would be just a bit of an overkill for a mobility scooter.  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kerick

Its hard to imagine a quad 50 cal in the back of this vehicle. Seems like it would tip over going around a corner.  :o
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

maxmwill

Well, along the lines of Ontos, that could be doable in reality, only with something a tad smaller, such as the M20 75mm recoilless rifles, 6 of them, each one on an extensible arm to help keep balance while firing, each rifle being on an arm. The arms would be retracted for traveling, and each deployed at need, two on each side, when firing.  Take the hydraulic rams off something like a Bobcat, which is comparable in size to the K360. And you might even be able to control it via pedals, as with the Bobcat, as well.

Dizzyfugu

There also was the JGSDF Type 60, conceptual M50 brother, but just with two 106mm recoilless guns:

I am aware of an 1:72 kit of this one, but not of an 1:35 model.

kitnut617

Why mess around, go the whole hog --- erm I mean RAM   ;D

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Dude!! When you gon' finish that?!  Sweet!

Max... idea sounds great! In a bind, they can turn the weaponry backwards, open fire, and have a speed boost upon getaway!  :wacko: :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

:lol:

I was just messing around yesterday Brad ----  :wacko:  The RAM will be painted up like my real one, all Flame Red, black interior, aluminum rims.

Old Wombat

So, what's the 12-shooter going on, then? :unsure:

Curious minds & all that. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

Not sure Guy, I think it would have to be something 'fixed position' or at least a vehicle with a dirty great big ammo trailer behind it ----

I'd been reading this thread and then from my Out of Retirement project, there's this gun pack left over ---- and I had another spare from a kit that had been used as a donor, I was just playing around with it ---

TheChronicOne

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 09, 2019, 06:39:25 AM
  :lol:

I was just messing around yesterday Brad ----  :wacko:  The RAM will be painted up like my real one, all Flame Red, black interior, aluminum rims.

Ahhhh...... subterfuge!     ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

I've got kits in 1/72 of HMMWV's and Bradley's, I think if this setup was going on anything it would have to be one of these. Bradley is getting my vote because it could carry enough ammo.