Israeli Westland Lysander, Suez Crisis ***FINISHED***

Started by TheChronicOne, December 29, 2019, 03:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

More work done on this today. Fuselage is together and I made all the alterations necessary to the wings and the canopy they attach to. Pretty soon I'll cut down the tail planes and get them glued on and start to think about paint!   Decided to eliminate the winglets all together.

-Sprues McDuck-

The Rat

I'm liking your back story already! And those warped wings could be used on an ornithopter! ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rick Lowe

Don't know if it makes a difference, but the winglets would also carry stowage canisters on the Agent Runs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WWIIplanes/comments/74ukb9/british_westland_lysander_with_small_winglets/

Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

I have also seen 20mm Hispanos with drum magazines mounted under the stub wings! Not certain if that was an option for this build, though.

dogsbody

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 17, 2020, 04:11:35 AM
I have also seen 20mm Hispanos with drum magazines mounted under the stub wings! Not certain if that was an option for this build, though.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Now that's what you call a "Jury Rig".

Wonder what any production fitting would have looked like ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 18, 2020, 02:44:09 AM
Now that's what you call a "Jury Rig".

Wonder what any production fitting would have looked like ?

It's British during WW2, you're looking at it! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Into painting now. I've flip-flopped again and decided to run with the winglets. They're just too cool not to use!  ;D

Not done yet, but have started to paint all the frame work and the plane is now primed. I have my reference pictures and paints on stand by. Won't be long before this one looks like something resembling a finished aircraft.

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Looking good! Never looked at the Lysander very much but i've got to admit that bird has charm of its own... :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

If you wanted an improvised armament setup for the winglets, you could have a machine-gun cobbled onto the inboard pylon and an ammo box on the next one, with the belt running between the two. With all those pylons, you could even have the ammo box width-ways: good for ammo feed, bad for drag!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Quick update.... just about ready to paint things.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

All the bottoms are painted. I went ahead and put the sky color on the whole thing, though, because it'll serve a better base color than the much darker grey for the next color which is a lighter tan looking bunch of jive.

That will be tomorrow I suspect. All the upper color on and I'll start work getting the engine and cowling in shape.

Finished painting the canopy frame work.

She's on her way! I'm trying not to rush things but I'm also facing down a deadline so striking a balance between the two is the goal for now.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Pure happenstance. I saw this out on FB.

He didn't say what is was from but I know damn well what it is!   ;D

This is by Rodrigo Navarro‎.

Wow!

As far as mine... I've been painting... she's coming along nicely..... I can't wait to put the bumble bee stripes on!   :lol:

-Sprues McDuck-