Israeli Westland Lysander, Suez Crisis ***FINISHED***

Started by TheChronicOne, December 29, 2019, 03:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Coming along nicely, Brad.  :thumbsup:

That FB post must be the 1/32 Matchbox, right?! Hope it's not smaller, or I'm taking up knitting...

NARSES2

I'd forgotten about that 1/32 scale kit therefore I've obviously wasted money on a new set of knitting needles  ;)

Crazy detailing  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

I'd be downright offended if that were 1/72.  ;D ;D

More painting on this one today! Should wrap up the camo then on to detail painting. I'm curious how this is going to wind up looking. These colors are a bit strange together...... two shades of blue and a khaki color.....   wondering if my darker blue is the right shade...... and wondering how clear coat is going to darken it up. This time around I banked on it doing just that and I'm hoping that it darkens up to the proper shades or whatever. IF NOT... I simply mix up a little paint and go back over the blue to give it the right tint. Simple fix.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Lot of fun working on this one today!  Got a ton of painting done. Still a lot more to go like the stripes but we're on our way.

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Hmm... thinking maybe the Brown should be darker, rather than lighter? Just my .02 c

There again, as you say the clear will darken it some.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 23, 2020, 10:25:35 AM
These colors are a bit strange together...... two shades of blue and a khaki color.....   .

It does sound an odd combination but it does seem to work when you see photos of aircraft wearing it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 24, 2020, 02:04:12 AM
Hmm... thinking maybe the Brown should be darker, rather than lighter? Just my .02 c

There again, as you say the clear will darken it some.
Funny you mention that... some parts are too light, some too dark!  ;D I'm just sticking with this profile here. There are probably some out there, but I didn't find any good full color actual photos.  A lot of it is down to the really bright LED lights I use for photography. Toward the back, nearer to the light, it seems a bit too light but up front, near the cowling, it's actually a bit darker! I figure, as an average, it should work out. We'll see.... gloss might going on today so check back in for the verdict.    ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Colours are always hard to define, even when you look at the same thing under two different light sources, or on two different days...
as you say, it'll look different with clear, and you can always tweak it if you're not happy - the key word being 'you', as it's your model.

Coming along well - keep it up!  :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Thanks, bud!  Another thing I forgot about mentioning that will help darken things is the weathering. I've done a bit of that. Just a general all over grime on the light parts. Kind of tricky, though. I'm trying to keep the "new" parts pretty clean... the blue sections and all of the tailplanes. In fact, for the tailplanes, I think I will try to simulate "new" paint for the tan color since I doubt the IAF could color match the original Egyptian paint. So, I'll go over that with some sort of "slighty different" shade to illustrate that. I've also left the "original" Egyptian paint on the little winglets as if they were indeed just sitting around in the back of the plane then they decided to throw them on, but after the brown had been covered on the rest of the plane. It's going to be a motley bunch of paint on this one!

Still doing detail paint, too. Almost done I think. I have the ring on the cowling and the exhaust partially painted. I also finished painting the wheels and went back through and touched up the other colors where it needed it.

I've been blowing so much time on the detail painting that I still might not get it glossed but if I can keep the TV and the greater internet from distracting me too much I'd like to get it done tonight.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 24, 2020, 03:13:23 PM
Colours are always hard to define, :

And as I've said many, many times before  :angel: we all see them differently. And don't even get me started on how men and women see colours differently  :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 25, 2020, 02:17:05 AM

And don't even get me started on how men and women see colours differently  :banghead:

How do you know?  ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 25, 2020, 12:33:40 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 25, 2020, 02:17:05 AM

And don't even get me started on how men and women see colours differently  :banghead:

How do you know?  ;D ;D ;D

"They're all the same, Honey - White."

"No, it's Clotted Cream - NOT the Eggshell I want!" :banghead: :banghead:

TheChronicOne

What gets me are the folks that confuse orange with red. They'll be like, "look at that red drone airplane" that is clearly orange & vice versa.  :wacko: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-