Israeli Westland Lysander, Suez Crisis ***FINISHED***

Started by TheChronicOne, December 29, 2019, 03:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 25, 2020, 12:58:28 PM
What gets me are the folks that confuse orange with red. They'll be like, "look at that red drone airplane" that is clearly orange & vice versa.  :wacko: ;D

Nah, they're just throwbacks - orange used to be known as red (a few centuries ago...)

TheChronicOne

Sounds familiar. I read something a few months ago about blue and green being the same way and there still people to this day in certain parts of the world that don't make any distinction between the two. This still exists in some forms to this day. I know my color description are primitive in some areas; like... well, back to blue... some people will look at dark blue and light blue and say they are two entirely different things while I claim "they're both blue, just one is light and one is dark.."  So funny how it goes sometimes. Fascinating stuff!
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

But both are correct, it just depends on how (or whether) you split the hair.  ;)

TheChronicOne

Right?! Different but the same. Setting aside that it isn't a color that "exists" and what goes into making it..... PINK could be LIGHT RED.  ;D   As far as all that goes, with certain tints and hues and stuff Brown can be lightened into orange and orange can be darkened into brown so those could be "Brown is just Dark Orange" or "Orange is just Light Brown."  ;D    Colors are fun. I always try to snag the articles about it for lunch time reading. The other day I found a good one about modellers and the way we approach yellow. He got pretty scientific about it whereas I'm more of a "philosophical aspects" enthusiast.  Like how they say the aforementioned pink isn't truly a color and they say the same about cyan. I read an interesting one about that, too. One of the only ways to "truly" see cyan is to look at... I think it was a yellowish color... stare at for a long time then look at a reddish/pinkish color then close your eyes and for a split second the cones and rods in your eyes create "cyan" out of the overlapping signals. Like I said... tremendously fascinating stuff! 

Now......
"HF1-XFGMC -173-Fo-33" is boring as hell, though.  ;D  It's like.... just call it "yellow" and get it as close as you think it needs to be for cryin' out loud.  :rolleyes: ;D   
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Well, she's going well!

As predicted, however, this blue is a bit off and needs tiny bit of lightening and tiny bit of green tint. I was trying to avoid having to mix paint up but before I do that I do have a couple options in the further reaches of my paint stash. Some oceanic blue or some crap that has a green tint to it. No biggie, I was aware this might happen when I took the lazy way out of just grabbing the nearest thing of blue I had.  ;D

Otherwise I've painted the "new" paint onto the tailplanes to simulate what went down when they had to scramble for replacement parts. More detail stuff here and there and straightening lines up, etc.

SO... next round is to probably stop real fast and paint on the invasion stripes then after that I'll rough up the blue spots and get the color corrected there. Seems the further along I go the more little things here and there I find to do. I really enjoy this phase of a build.  All the heavy lifting is done already and the small details and refinements can really make for a nice model.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I read somewhere that the reason we have visible light split into seven colours is that Newton was a numerologist and seven was an occultly significant number (he obviously hadn't read any Discworld).
This make sense to me as Indigo and violet  are obviously both the same colour (purple).

When it comes to colour differentiation I have issues with the yellow/green border.  What I clearly see as yellow others (wrongly) see as green. 
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Ahhhhh yes... the tennis ball conundrum.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 25, 2020, 01:24:32 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 25, 2020, 12:58:28 PM
What gets me are the folks that confuse orange with red. They'll be like, "look at that red drone airplane" that is clearly orange & vice versa.  :wacko: ;D

Nah, they're just throwbacks - orange used to be known as red (a few centuries ago...)

Strangely in a couple of recent BBC News broadcasts they have described something that is obviously orange as being red. Now I knew the Beeb could be a tad old fashioned, but  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 25, 2020, 04:44:30 PM
Well, she's going well!

<snip>

As predicted, however, this blue is a bit off and needs tiny bit of lightening and tiny bit of green tint. I was trying to avoid having to mix paint up but before I do that I do have a couple options in the further reaches of my paint stash. Some oceanic blue or some crap that has a green tint to it. No biggie, I was aware this might happen when I took the lazy way out of just grabbing the nearest thing of blue I had.  ;D

Otherwise I've painted the "new" paint onto the tailplanes to simulate what went down when they had to scramble for replacement parts. More detail stuff here and there and straightening lines up, etc.

SO... next round is to probably stop real fast and paint on the invasion stripes then after that I'll rough up the blue spots and get the color corrected there. Seems the further along I go the more little things here and there I find to do. I really enjoy this phase of a build.  All the heavy lifting is done already and the small details and refinements can really make for a nice model.

I think you want "Nonspecular Sea Blue" which used to be a Humbrol colour, but I think they've discontinued it.  :(  I believe other paint companies make it as some sort of FS number ... yes, here it is:

"Non-Specular Sea Blue and equates to Federal Standard color #35042."  M&M Models carries it here:

https://www.mmodelstore.com/search.aspx?find=FS35042
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

Thanks, brotha!!! I'm going to have to make do with what I have already. I'm too broke to buy stuff right now.  ;D

I think I'll be fine, though... I have a color that's really close to it in my stash but I'll need to test it... BUT... if worse comes to worse, I'll bite the bullet and make my own mix.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

About half way through the striping now.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I finished the invasion stripes but before I remove the masking I figured I'd try out the new paint that I think is more correct. I think it looks better. Thoughts?

99% certain I'm going to roll with it. BUUUUuuuut this means I'm going to have to also repaint all the frame work.  :rolleyes:   I don't care...I need the right color on here... that blue just wasn't to my liking. As a color... sure... but for this scheme?? No.

-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Try the flat blue in the bottle Testors range. Take a 40 or 50% off coupon to Hobby Lobby and get the flat set for 10 bucks or whatever. Love that blue, and it goes good with the lighter flat blue in the set.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Love a good trip to the HL!!  I'll have to check them out. I might just take a stroll through tomorrow... not that I can buy anything yet but I wouldn't mind popping in.

Update.... I've managed to re-paint all the blue camo and repaint all the blue frame work then I finished the stripes and removes the masking.

I'll go back one last time and do touch up but the painting is pretty much done now. On to decals I guess. One last note... I noticed that I've not only accomplished a "painted over" scheme but there are actual individual elements that are one or the other. The little winglets are the Egyptian scheme, the new tailplanes are painted how the IAF painted their stuff at the time, and the fuselage is a hybrid of the two. So there's three paint schemes in one and it all tells a bit of the backstory.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Final update for the day. Officially Jewish now.

-Sprues McDuck-