My Library just grew again 2020

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2019, 04:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

The third of my recent Osprey orders arrived this morning, apparently it was printed to order.

Essential Histories : Byzantium at War AD 600 to 1453.

A subject that has interested me ever since I first read about the Emperor Heraclius.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

An atomic empire, CN Hill
With honour in battle, JT McDaniel

Gondor

Received in the post today

Warpaint Series No. 65 Westland Wessex

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Leading Observer

For those that have read the Empires Lost series by Charles S Jackson [the inspiration for https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=45074.msg804552#msg804552 ], the author has put out on his FB that having lost his writing mojo for a while, he is now back at the  :thumbsup:keyboard
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Leading Observer

I'm now starting the 3rd book in M.L. Buchman's  Miranda Chase NTSB series, Condor, having thoroughly enjoyed the first two, Drone and Thunderbolt
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

If anyone is like me eagerly awaiting the next release in the Secret Projects series - Italian Secret Projects of WWII- which was due to be published yesterday, Crecy have been in touch to let me know that publication is deferred, probably to 2021.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

So a local bookstore is closing and I happened to pop in while passing and spotted this:

https://www.armymuseum.co.nz/product/partisan/

At $7.50 I couldn't pass it by.
Very interesting story, and the sort of thing you'd write (ha!) off as something from a Commando comic, or a Boy's Own adventure - if it wasn't true.

Basic synopsis:

https://teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/5d17/denvir-john

Gondor

Latest adition to my library

Haynes Westland Wessex 1958 onwards (all models) Owners Workshop Manual

Very nice info inside, fills in lots of bit's and peices that is not in the Warpaint book.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Not grew recently, but I've just finished reading Nicholas Hill's 'Skybolt at arm's length'.

What a VAST waste of our money the two Governments spent, not just on Skybolt, but all the toing and froing that went on before, during and after that shambles.

And as for McNamara and that idiot Rubel, not to mention Zuckermann, words almost fail me!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Been on a bit of a book ordering spree lately...recent arrivals include:

Project Cancelled-Derek Wood
The Battle For the Falklands-Max Hastings
The Secret War For the Falklands-Nigel West
F-4 Phantom (Modern Combat Aircraft)
F-4 Phantom: Spirit In the Skies
Five various issues of World Airpower Journal
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 08, 2020, 06:18:12 PM

Is that the co-authored one where he was the journalist in the Falklands and his co-author does the UK politics ? If so it's an interesting book.

I've got a lot of Hasting's works and he's particularly good on WWI. Not the best historian probably, but he writes well and grabs you. I know a lot don't like him, but I do.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 09, 2020, 06:46:51 AM

Is that the co-authored one where he was the journalist in the Falklands and his co-author does the UK politics ? If so it's an interesting book.

I've got a lot of Hasting's works and he's particularly good on WWI. Not the best historian probably, but he writes well and grabs you. I know a lot don't like him, but I do.

That's the one Chris.  Simon Jenkins is co-author. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Thought it was, just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed something.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Rheged

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 09, 2020, 01:20:53 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 09, 2020, 06:46:51 AM

That's the one Chris.  Simon Jenkins is co-author.

Rheged minor (no.2 son) did his first degree thesis on "The Logistical Implications of the Falklands War"   and rates this book highly.  As Chris says, it's very well written, by journalists not academic historians.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

That sounds as if it would be just as interesting as Max Hastings' book.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit