My Library just grew again 2020

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2019, 04:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Here it is, people, a whole new topic for you to play with.

Chris, could you pin this one for me, please?  Being more or less incomputerate, I can't do it myself.   TA!!!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

OK.  I'll go first.
Got some gifts at NYE dinner last night.

Osprey Essential Histories - The Russo-Japanese War 1904-1905 by Geoffrey Jukes
Anzac & Aviator - The remarkable story of Sir Ross Smith and the 1919 England to Australia Air Race by Michael Molkentin
The Warship - Rise of the Jain book 2 by Neal Asher

I have so many new books I don't know where to start.  Oh yes, finish the one i'm reading now plus Oct/Nov issue of Modelart Australia and the last two AMWs...
:unsure:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 01, 2020, 03:12:36 AM

Osprey Essential Histories - The Russo-Japanese War 1904-1905 by Geoffrey Jukes

It's a good introduction to the conflict.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

If you can get hold of a copy of "The Fleet that had to Die" by Richard Hough  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleet-That-Had-Die/dp/1841580449....it's FREE if you have a Kindle or similar.....it gives a good account of  the Russian Baltic Fleet's journey from its home port to Tsu Shima .  I've a tatty old paperback that cost  15p  in junk shop.

zenrat

Thanks Rheged.  I have Mrs z's old kindle somewhere.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

And I have Kindle software on my laptop, if I can figure out how it works.............. :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I received some Amazon vouchers for Xmas so I turned some of that into books.

Received today American Secret Projects 2 and am waiting on book 3

I also received an eBay purchase today

IAI Nesher 1971-1985 by IsraDecal Publications

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

My knowledge of English history prior to the Hanoverian's is not as good as I'd like it to be so with some book tokens I got for Christmas (yes you can still get them) and a local book shop (yes I still have a very good one) I got a copy of "Providence Lost - The rise and fall of Cromwell's Protectorate.

It was theoretically a tad cheaper on Amazon, but I'd rather support my local shop.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 11, 2020, 02:28:35 AM
My knowledge of English history prior to the Hanoverian's is not as good as I'd like it to be so with some book tokens I got for Christmas (yes you can still get them) and a local book shop (yes I still have a very good one) I got a copy of "Providence Lost - The rise and fall of Cromwell's Protectorate.

It was theoretically a tad cheaper on Amazon, but I'd rather support my local shop.

Well done, sir!!  I try to do the same.   You can often pick up odd volumes of the Oxford History of England  for a couple of pounds in second hand book shops  (I got all 16 volumes in pristine condition for £55)  They are definitely worth looking for!

Hobbes

I'm doing the same. They can order pretty much anything Amazon has, and I'm not a fan of Amazon's business practices so I've stopped buying from them altogether.

zenrat

I'm with you there Hobbes.  Their employment practices are particularly dubious.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2020, 02:38:28 AM
I'm with you there Hobbes.  Their employment practices are particularly dubious.

From what I've read I'd have to agree.

My particular beef with them is that they quote a very low price and then when you look at it in detail that price is for the Kindle version. Quite often for non fiction books the lady in my local bookshop can quote me as good a price for the hard back copy as Amazon's  :thumbsup:

Nick

During my lunch hour today I wandered into the Ian Allan bookshop in Waterloo. Somehow a pair of rather heavy tomes leapt off the SALE shelf and into my hands.

Dragon's Wings - Andreas Rupprecht
All about the Chinese Air Force and the development of their aircraft. Lots of prototypes.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragons-Wings-Andreas-Rupprecht/dp/1906537364  I paid £10.99  ;D

The Secret Years: Flight Testing at Boscombe Down 1939-1945 - Tim Mason
A description of every aircraft tested at Boscombe Down during WW2. Big, heavy volume. Only £14.99  ;D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Years-Testing-Boscombe-1939-1945/dp/1902109147

Gondor

Dragon's Wings is a great book and is in my library, full of facinating stuff  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....