My Library just grew again 2020

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2019, 04:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Samson and the Dunkirk Circus: 3 Squadron Royal Naval Air Service, 1914-15, by John Oliver.

I've been interested in Charles Rumney Samson so thought it was about time I learnt more.  This is a snapshot of his career, while running the armoured car section of the RNAS.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on October 27, 2020, 08:21:53 AM

Mount hobby horse

It's the same with the period after VE day.  From the events surrounding it, you'd think that was the end of the war, but we all know VJ day  was really when hostilities ceased.   Even the poppy appeal this year has special VE75 badges, but nothing for VJ75!! 

Dismount hobby horse.

That was one of my dad's own hobby horses. Having been in the BPF he always said that by the time they got home people didn't want to know and always felt slightly miffed about it. A little more than slightly miffed when he's had a pint  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

On the way to work today I popped into Ian Allan for the last time.  :angry:  Very little left on the shelves and only a handful of kits.
Their sale is now at 75% discount on all books so I spent my early birthday money  :wacko:

Shropshire Airfields Through Time by Alec Brew
Slim volume with lots of nice photos showing the various airfields over the years. Includes a great shot of a Saab Safir flying under a bridge on the A41 Hinstock bypass!

Harrier Boys vol.1 by Bob Marston
Thrilling stories of flying the Harrier from 1969-1991.

Modern Chinese Warplanes - Army Aviation by Andreas Rupprecht
Got this for the pretty pictures and some background info on Chinese Army Aviation. Explains the military regions and Commands.

Fearless - The story of New Zealands Great War Airmen by Adam Claasen
A hefty tome. Packed with the history of how New Zealand formed an aerial fighting force and individual stories of the pilots themselves. Written for the 1018 anniversary of the Great War. Looks to be an incredible read.
https://issuu.com/masseypress/docs/fearless_sample_pages

Last but certainly not least....
British Combat Aircraft in Latin America by Santiago Rivas
Massive doorstopper covering all the aircraft we sold to anywhere south of the US-Mexican border. I could be reading this until SMW 2021  ;D

BTW, if anyone is looking for 5 experienced booksellers who are house-trained and have their onw cups for coffee AND tea, better call the shop quick!

PR19_Kit

I passed by The Works in Wellingborough today, and then backtracked to their doorway.

BIG mistake, as they had some Haynes Manuals there going for silly prices, so now I have one each of the ones for the Challenger 2 tank, The Saturn V, The BoB Memorial Flight and the HST. (Please DON'T tell anyone about the last one or they'll drum me out of the APT-E Support and Conservation Group!)

I also got a copy of Jenson Button's 'How do be a racing driver', which is a total HOOT in places.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

While at the local magazine shop, a SPLENDID place (well worth a visit if you're in East, Magazine Heaven at Rushden Lakes Shopping Centre) I found a Haynes Manual I'd not seen, or even heard of before.

It's the 'Model Builder's Manual', written by Matt Irvine, him of Dr. Who's K9 fame and other TV stuff. Many of us will know him because of his mini-shows and sales at Hanslope Hall of course, and I've known him since we were both kit reviewers for Scale Models magazine in the 70s.

While I may be already some distance up the learning ladder of modelling  ;D I thought it'd be rude not to buy it, so I did.  ;D

Mini-review later I expect.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I saw that advertised only the other day.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

The secret horsepower race, Calum Douglas  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Two additions arived from eBay

The Hawker Hurricane by Francis K. Mason A.R.Ae.S,, Macdonald Aircraft Monographs

Warpaint 106, Sikorsky S-55/H-19 Chickasaw and Westland Whirlwind by Adrian M, Balch

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

The latest adition to the liberary arived today courtisy of The Aviation Hobbyshop.

Squadrons, Patches, Heraldry & Artwork of The Indian Air Force 1932 2016

Ideal for whiffing anything belonging to the IDF. Just look up a squadron, look at the artwork and patches they have used and apply to your model of choice, simple  ;D

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Steel Penguin

4 different Haynes manuals
Wessex and Lynx helos
Astute class submarine
HS 125 train
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Rheged

From the online/mail order company "Postscript".

England's Maritime Heritage from the Air...Historic England
Mapping the Clyde (1700 years of maps)..... Birlinn
Atlas of UK Railway Station Closures...........Crecy.

All at half published price or less, and exceptionally good customer service.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Received today from eBay

Warpaint Series No. 51  Lockheed Neptune by Kev Darling

Bought to aid in the future build of what should be an RAF machine, sometime  :-\

Gondor

zenrat

Birthday present from my dog.
Airbrushing and Weathering Techniques by Rob Ferreira (Tips, tricks and techniques with Vallejo acrylic colours).
Aimed at armour modellers but I am sure applicable to other subjects.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 09, 2020, 02:40:24 AM
Birthday present from my dog.
Airbrushing and Weathering Techniques by Rob Ferreira (Tips, tricks and techniques with Vallejo acrylic colours).
Aimed at armour modellers but I am sure applicable to other subjects.

Happy birthday for whenever it is  :thumbsup: Mind you have you checked all your shoes, sandals and slippers ?  ;) :angel:

Gondor

Received from eBay today

Clasic WWII Aviation VOlume 1  Hawker Hurricane by Edward Shacklady

Gondor