A different Barracuda

Started by PR19_Kit, January 12, 2020, 03:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on May 02, 2020, 02:02:38 PM
I need to get some in, for model stands.  :)

Can you actually buy individual, or packs, of bicycle spokes ? I haven't had a bike for so long I wouldn't know.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

If you know the right places to look, yes.

Currently one of my front rooms probably has the largest stock of 17" wheel spokes in the west of the UK, about 200 of them!  ;D

I bought a job lot from a shop that was closing down in the 90s.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: Scotaidh on May 02, 2020, 02:02:38 PM
I need to get some in, for model stands.  :)

TIG welding rods come in handy for that --  I used stainless steel ones for this

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

It doesn't matter if you're building the SH Barra as an RW model, but the wheel bays are differently moulded on each side! The rear of the starboard one is a whole thickness of styrene rearwards than the port one, and because I'm using the bays as a datum for my attachment wires I've got to make each side different now.  :banghead:

Why do I always chose these semi-impossible things to do with my models?  :-\

The mounting tubes are all installed in the wing roots now, and I've sawn up the starboard folding wing, and 'adjusted' my pigs ear of the spread starboard wing so it's another day of chopping lengths of wire and bending to suit.

Maybe pics of all four wings by this evening.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Well it certainly has been a trial, but the last corner must be sight.. keep going. I do like where this is heading

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 03, 2020, 07:42:06 AM
Why do I always chose these semi-impossible things to do with my models?  :-\

'Coz you're a Whiffer! ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

The engineering bit of the Barra is done at last.  ;D

Here's a pic with folded wings.

And here's one with UN-folded wings.

and just to prove they're not the same set of wings, here's the whole shebang.

They look a bit rough at the moment and need some PSR and filing etc. but they're almost ready for primer and paint, thank goodness.

Then I've only got to do the landing gear, finish off the PE stuff, fix the canopy, sort out the decals etc. etc.

Should be finished by Autumn I reckon.............

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Autumn 2020 or 21 Kit ?  ;)

No it's going well mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I've not only primered the Barra's wings, I've actually got both upper and lower colours on too!

Because they're not attached to the airframe I was able to paint them one by one, rather as I used to do with my airliner kits, and it worked quite well. The lower paint colour is Tamiya Sky, and after two coats, applied maybe 4 hrs apart, it looks quite good. The upper colour is Mr Hobby Extra Dark Sea Grey, and that's wonderful! It went on superbly, no pick-up at all, flowed nicely and it may be OK with just one coat.  :o

I'll have to do a little tidying  up where the two colours meet at the leading edge (I never CAN get that to work well  :banghead:) but otherwise it's getting on nicely.  ;D

Paint on the fuselage tomorrow with luck.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I'd never thought that a 'Cuda would gain from a radial engine! But so far, this looks very good!  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

I've got the wings painted up now, upper and lower surfaces, plus the folded flaps as well.

But I totally forgot the flaps on the non-folded wings!  :banghead:

So now I've attached them, but had to scratch up two of the hinges as the originals had gone walk-about.

Fuselage painting later today.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Because I have to completely finish the painting and decaling of the folded wings before assembling the flaps to them, I'm applying some decals much earlier than I would normally do with a model. It feels VERY strange, as if I've missed out some vital assembly steps.  :-\

The wing decals are now all on, or the top side ones anyway, and they're all nicely Kleared ready for the final varnish. I'll need to experiment with my Satincote and Mattcote varnishes before I do the wings as I've heard some horror stories about Humbrol's latest batches of the Cotes on a model railway forum. :(

Because I have two sets of wings for the Barra I need two sets of decals, so I've ordered a couple of Barracuda sheets from the Big H for the extra ones. I'm sure I'll build another Barra at some time, it's such a fascinating shape for an aeroplane.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

TWICE I've written out this post, and TWICE it's vanished before I got to the end.

I'm getting VERY fed up with it.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 08, 2020, 02:38:51 PM
TWICE I've written out this post, and TWICE it's vanished before I got to the end.

I'm getting VERY fed up with it.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

For a long post, write it in Word, then copy/paste the complete text to the forum.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

But I shouldn't have to do that!

It's bloody M$ Edge that's the problem, after it's been running a while it starts re-setting the page every 10-15 secs, for no good reason as far as I can see.

Yes, I know, use Chrome or Firefox or Safari or any of those other browsers, but none of them arrange my faves the way I like them, and Edge and Internet Explorer does.

Regards
Kit