A different Barracuda

Started by PR19_Kit, January 12, 2020, 03:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 19, 2020, 06:33:49 AM
Quote from: Rheged on March 19, 2020, 06:23:46 AM

As to being a SELF ISOLATOR, it sounds like some sort of emergency valve that you'd have fitted to a hydraulic system.

I may well have done, yes. But I'd have probably called it a 'hand valve'.  ;D

Technically, that's a ball valve   ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 15, 2020, 06:26:56 AM

Technically, that's a ball valve   ;)

Sure, but it's still a hand valve.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I've got a half built single seater Barracuda somewhere
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

I've done so much PSR on the Barra's fuselage (7-8 sessions at the last count....) that all of SH's delicate panel lines have vanished completely.  :banghead:

Now I'm faced with re-scribing them or it'll look as if it's been built from hot moulded plywood like a Mosquito! And I HATE panel line scribing!

But at least it's looking like it's intended shape now.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The engineering bit.................

I've added the PE parts to the inner wing root as I can't go any further with making my removable wings idea work without doing that. They're pretty fiddly but look OK when they're on. The instructions are wrong though, one of the PE bits should be 90 deg out from the direction they show. Luckily I have drawings and pics of the real thing.

Having attached them I drilled the holes for the wing attachment tubes, fore and aft, and glued the tubes in place. You can just see them alongside the PE frets below.

With a lot of taping and supergluing I added the forward wing rod, and once it had dried did the same with the aft wing rod.

Here's the normal wing in position, held by its rids and tubes. The joint of the root section will need a little PSR as it looks a tad 'rounded' to me, but I'll see how it looks overall later on.

And here the wing is plugged out.

Not so bad, eh?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

And here's the other configuration with the wing folded. Note it's not the same wing, this one is the Special Hobby wing, whereas the one in the pics above is a FROG Barracuda wing.

The locking post on the wingtip isn't hooked onto the tailplane as the RW Barracuda's were, that's far too small and complex for 1/72 scale. The thin brass wire you can just see vanishing into the wing root is bent upwards so that it holds the wing in position when it's plugged into the aft tube that the un-folded wing uses as well.

Here's the folded wing un-plugged. I've added the PE detail on here already, and the resin you can just see inside the PE framework is the fuel tank they supply, but which also helps the wing stay in shape once you've sawn off most of the trailing edge!

Now I have to do the other side.................... :(

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 29, 2020, 01:13:01 PM

Now I have to do the other side.................... :(

Should be far quicker now though as you have practise  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I tested the brass wire support spring with the folded flap set up in position, but the wing drooped like wet string. :(

So I'm trying some spring steel wire in place of the brass now.

It's just like being at work really' 'Ah, that didn't work, we better put something stronger in place'  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 30, 2020, 07:42:59 AM

It's just like being at work really' 'Ah, that didn't work, we better put something stronger in place'  ;D

Same principle works with alcohol Kit  ;)

Impressive work sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The spring steel wire support works a treat.  ;D

I had to epoxy it into position on the 'folded wing' as even gel super glue won't touch it, bit it's easily strong enough to support the weight of the wing, the PE and the folded resin flap assembly when I'd bent it to the correct angle. I'm well chuffed.

I've started work on the starboard wing set now, and that's gone reasonably well except I made a total pigs ear of sawing up the non-folded FROG wing. :(

For some reason I cut it off at the wrong angle and far too deeply too, so now I'm gluing layers of 40 thou styrene onto the wing root to get it back where it should be.  :banghead: :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Have you tried bicycle spokes as a wire source?  They're pretty strong but not expensive.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

They're far too large in diameter for this job I'm afraid, the stuff I'm using is just over 0.5 mm dia.

And I don't need to buy bike spokes, I've got loads of them, but only for 16" or 17" wheels.  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

I need to get some in, for model stands.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."