Model shops, L-space and Discworld

Started by Nick, January 12, 2020, 04:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on January 14, 2020, 03:33:18 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 12, 2020, 10:56:39 AM
Got to admit I have dreams like that sometimes. There are whole landscapes, buildings and areas of towns, including model shops, that I 'remember', but which I know for a fact don't exist. At least, they don't exist here...

I have them.  I used to be convinced that one day i'd go to a new town i'd never been to before and recognise it.
In my dreams i was often chasing around looking for model shops but when I eventually found one they never had what I wanted.
I've since realised that this dream landscape (in my case it was a large island) was made up of bits of real places i'd been to plus places from books, TV & movies.

With mine, they're often sort of extended versions of real places. For instance:

In my house, the stairs to the attic are concealed behind a door that you might take, at first glace, to be a cupboard. In my dream houses, this sequence of hidden doors leading to new levels just goes on and on, often with one door/corridor/floor that has a sense of dread about it...

In Stockport, the car parks on top of various shopping centres are interlinked, so that you can walk right across the town centre off the ground, and because the town is built on several hills, there are a variety of stairways, sloping paths and bridges connecting 'ground' levels that are at different elevations. Some of my dreams have extended versions of this where the mixture of concrete multi-story car parks and Victorian ginnels and steps just goes on and on forever.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat

The dark side of M space . A room full of Mach 2 models

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tigercat on January 14, 2020, 10:31:27 PM

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2020, 11:51:14 PM
Quote from: tigercat on January 14, 2020, 10:31:27 PM

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!  :banghead: :banghead:

Quick, bring the smelling salts for the gentleman with the hat!!!

Agreed, AAAGH!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet