Dassault Mirage 3000

Started by dwomby, January 16, 2020, 01:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwomby

In the early 1990s, Dassault realised that the costs and, especially, the continually worsening delivery delays, for the upcoming Rafale might discourage some of their target customers.  So they decided they needed a Mirage 2000 upgrade product to hold onto existing customers who might be tempted to buy American aircraft or Eurofighters as their next combat aircraft before the Rafale was available and its final production prices were calculated.  Dassault's solution was an interim design that would be be more agile and have longer range and updated avionics and be a relatively low cost upgrade for Mirage 2000 customers. 

Dassault developed their interim fighter by redesigning the longer two-seat Mirage 2000D into a single seater.  A raised cockpit was fitted for better rearward visibility. The original thought was to have variable incidence canards ahead of the cockpit but earlier experience with the Milan had shown that they would cause turbulence that would interfere with the airflow to the intakes.  So the canards were adapted from the Rafale design and fitted to the shoulders of the intakes.    Extra fuel and avionics were fitted in the space the rear seat had originally taken.  The additional avionics enabled the single seater to be classed as multirole with both interception and ground attach capabilities.  Initially the design was referred to as the Mirage 2000NG (Nouvelle Generation) but it was soon renamed Mirage 3000.   

Originally intended as a rebuild of two seater 2000B, D or N, Dassault later developed a kit to upgrade the Mirage 2000C by grafting on the forward section of the new design.    Prompted by the government in the hope of encouraging export buyers, the Armee de L'Aire opted to upgrade two escadrons to Mirage 3000s as a stop gap pending delayed Rafale deliveries and adopted the new all-over grey scheme planned for the Rafales.   This represents a Mirage 3000 of Escadron E.C. 3/2 Alsace in 1999.

This whif is built from a 1/72 Italeri 2000D kit with the spine removed and a canopy from I do not know what.  The canards are from an old Imai kit of Thunderbird 1 and the housings for the canard mechanisms are halves of the bombs from the Airfix F-5A kit.  The canopy doesn't sit as nicely as I hoped but it's the best I could find in the spares box.

David

Captain Canada

Nice one. Such a curvy machine. Looks like a modern Kfir.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

chrisonord

Very nice, I  do like mirages :wub:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Very ingenious mixing and matching there, and it looks great as well.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

That's very nice, like a missing link between the 2K and the Rafale.  :thumbsup:

Tophe

:wub: Wonderful! May I make a picture of zwilling version as Mirage 6000? :unsure: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

dwomby

Quote from: Tophe on January 17, 2020, 04:12:36 AM
:wub: Wonderful! May I make a picture of zwilling version as Mirage 6000? :unsure: ;D

LOL - of course you may!

David

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 16, 2020, 11:42:14 PM
That's very nice, like a missing link between the 2K and the Rafale.  :thumbsup:

That would be the Mirage 4000, Dizzy.

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Quote from: dwomby on January 17, 2020, 04:59:50 AM
Quote from: Tophe on January 17, 2020, 04:12:36 AM
LOL - of course you may!
David
So here is the Mirage 6000 (aka: 3000Z): ;D

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 17, 2020, 10:34:07 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on January 17, 2020, 06:26:08 AM
That would be the Mirage 4000, Dizzy.

But that was a dead end!  ;)

;D Indeed it was, but still, a darned good looking bird.  :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Weaver

Nice idea and well executed -  :thumbsup:

They tried something similar with the Mirage III to Mirage 2000 transition, producing a prototype called the Mirage IIING. This was intended to one-up all the non-Dassault Mirage III upgrades being offered by having elements of the Mirage 2000's fly-by-wire and relaxed stability system. The result was too expensive however, and nobody bit.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones