NA B-27A High Speed Medium Bomber - Finished pic's pg.7

Started by Old Wombat, January 26, 2020, 02:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Sorry, no sech thing as a "1930s Art Deco style" aircraft design. Putting aside the fact
that Art Deco and Streamline are two different things, (no, the latter is not a "style" of
the former regardless of what the muppets on Wikipedia say). "Streamline" as a design
style was inspired by advances in aerodynamics, by the appearance of streamlined
aircraft, aerodynamic streamlining is science and engineering, not a purely aesthetic
"style".  Aircraft design was not influenced by streamlined toasters.
:wacko:

The Abrams P.1 Explorer may be what you are thinking of Chris.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=29550.msg458707#msg458707

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 27, 2020, 12:47:28 PMSadly the only pic I can find is one of those 'We own this photograph and you have to pay to use it', but I don't give a damn.  :angry:

I would bet that picture has been in the public domain longer than a lot of the people working for The RAS have been alive. Alamy does the same thing, and Getty Images. Nuts to them.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 11, 2020, 03:36:58 PM
Sorry, no sech thing as a "1930s Art Deco style" aircraft design. Putting aside the fact
that Art Deco and Streamline are two different things, (no, the latter is not a "style" of
the former regardless of what the muppets on Wikipedia say). "Streamline" as a design
style was inspired by advances in aerodynamics, by the appearance of streamlined
aircraft, aerodynamic streamlining is science and engineering, not a purely aesthetic
"style".  Aircraft design was not influenced by streamlined toasters.
:wacko:

I know you are correct Jon, but my brain still associates the two phrases, especially when you look at some 1930's civilian aircraft.

I'll go and write out "I must not confuse the two phrases" 500 times before I go to bed  ;). That was certainly the way I had Pythagoras's Theorem drummed into me at school  ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: 63cpe on February 11, 2020, 02:41:54 PM
Maybe the Stearman XA-21?

;)

David aka 63cpe

I think you've hit the nail on the head David.

That's always an aircraft I've liked as well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Halfway through putting on the second gloss coat, to protect the transfers/decals.

When that's dry I'll post a few pic's & move on to fading the paintwork, before another gloss coat, followed by dirtying her up a bit, after which comes the final dull coat.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Roight! Photo's of the beast with her transfers/decals on & glossed.

So far, so good (but far from perfect).

Still a lot to do, as I stated in the previous post, but I'm going to leave her alone for a day or two to dry properly before I give her a panel wash & start "fading" her.

These images will probably be the last until she's finished, as I'll be masking over the glazing (again) to protect it from the ravages of time, dirt & dull coat.

Again, thanks for watching! :bow:

PS: The mouth was a nasty female dog to get on, as it came from a P-51 Mustang kit & tore as I was trying to fit it, so bits were cut away to get it looking like this, which isn't quite as good as I'd hoped but, still, not too bad.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Snowtrooper

This being the A model, the designers obviously were still wary of creating a "defenseless" bomber and left the dorsal turret (or at least option thereof) in place. In the subsequent B model, they would have removed the option entirely based on combat experience (which would have shown that speed was a better defence than a single turret), simplifying and lightening the airframe further ;)

Old Wombat

Thanks, gents! :bow:

Quote from: Snowtrooper on February 17, 2020, 05:58:51 AM
This being the A model, the designers obviously were still wary of creating a "defenseless" bomber and left the dorsal turret (or at least option thereof) in place. In the subsequent B model, they would have removed the option entirely based on combat experience (which would have shown that speed was a better defence than a single turret), simplifying and lightening the airframe further ;)

Not quite. The B-27K model (based on a Hasegawa B-25J) will lose the dorsal turret but gain the tail guns, this will save weight & improve streamlining but still leave it with a sting in the tail. It'll, also, have more forward punch, with up to 8 fixed .50cals in the nose & side blisters. It will also lose the bomb-aimer, but regain the copilot, whilst the RO & Nav roles will be rolled into one with a single Nav/RO, thus losing one crewman overall.

TheChronicOne

Oh hell, this is shaping up nicely!   I don't know the details or anything but I totally dig the grey treatment on the vertical planes.
-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

It looks perfectly sized to me.

Can't wait for this to be finished and then figure iterations.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Thanks, guys! :bow:

Quote from: strobez on February 18, 2020, 12:35:34 AM
I dunno... it looks kinda big to me. ;)

This from the guy who motorises 1/144!? :unsure: ..... Yeah, I can see where you might think that. ;) I, on the other hand, think the opposite, as I usually build in 1/48. ;D