777X Landing auto-fold of wingtips

Started by jcf, January 27, 2020, 02:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: kitbasher on January 28, 2020, 06:26:42 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 27, 2020, 02:01:11 PM
https://youtu.be/AAQSekOGPR0

arrestor hook next.

Then all the pax seats would have to be installed facing aft. That would freak out most people.

Hopefully Boeing didn't farm out the software to Joe Bag "o" Donuts software company.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Quote from: Nick on January 28, 2020, 03:36:46 AM
Those engines are huge! They are 13ft wide, wider than the body of a Boeing 737  :o

Just look at this pic of the GE-9X on a 747 https://www.godsavethepoints.com/boeing-777x-ge9x-engines-larger-737/

Was anyone else let down by just how little of the wing actually folded up?

You don't realize how big those engines are until you see them on the 747 ! Even after seeing the 737 graphic ! Wow !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

I love wing flex.  I like to look out of the window on take off and as the wings take the weight of the aircraft from the earth remark loudly "wow! look how much those wings are bending..."

Is the problem not Boeing's electronics but Boeing's software?
Given it's such a small amount of wing that folds i'm sure one of these could happily remain in the air should one or both fold in flight.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on January 29, 2020, 01:17:39 AM
I love wing flex.  I like to look out of the window on take off and as the wings take the weight of the aircraft from the earth remark loudly "wow! look how much those wings are bending..."

They are actually flapping!   The ornithopter effect has been a closely guarded secret among aerodynamicists.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Given it's such a small amount of wing that folds i'm sure one of these could happily remain in the air should one or both fold in flight.

Wasn't there a case once when a Crusader took off with its wing tips folded up? I can't recall if it was land based or shipborne, but it must have been pretty crucial.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2020, 02:39:41 AM

Wasn't there a case once when a Crusader took off with its wing tips folded up? I can't recall if it was land based or shipborne, but it must have been pretty crucial.  :o

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=191&t=1238215

Naples.  August 1960.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Wow, and it happened half a dozen more times too?

Didn't the launch crews ever check before clearing them?  :o

It'd NEVER happen at a RAF station, every flight has to be given an OK by the threshold caravan before it's cleared onto the runway.

I've actually done those visual checks myself more than once. (Thanks so her who's the RAF's Best Air................Oh,  you know that already? Sorry.)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2020, 08:35:41 AM
I'd like to see them do the trick that the FAA did with their Scimitar display team at Farnborough once.

They took off as  four-ship, did their display and landed as two, two ships, from OPPOSITE ends of the runway! As they approached each other each of the aircraft folded their wings and passed between the opposing pair!  :o

The gasps of the crowd were almost audible above the scream of the eight Avons.  ;D

Can't see that being allowed nowadays, even if we had an aircraft capable of doing it  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

jcf

Is the problem not Boeing's electronics but Boeing's software?

Turns out it had less to do with design flaws than it did with a McDonnell-Douglas style
keep it cheap mindset coupled with a GE maximize stock value corporate culture.

The 737MAX flight control system computer and software are not made by Boeing,
they're from Collins to Boeing specs.

Boeing and EADS don't produce their own electronics, it comes from other companies;
Collins, Honeywell, Thales, Smiths, and Lucas amongst others. Some of it is to the
airframers' specs, some other components and systems are COTS.

The 777X wingfold system is designed and produced by Liebherr-Aerospace Lindenberg.

BTW unlike the 787 with its problematic partner system for design and manufacture
of major components, the majority of the 777X is in house with the new composite wing
being manufactured in a new facility here in Everett and the fuselage being assembled
using a new automated robotic system, again here at the plant.

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 29, 2020, 01:43:06 PM
...The 737MAX flight control system computer and software are not made by Boeing,

Boeing and EADS don't produce their own electronics, it comes from other companies;
Collins, Honeywell, Thales, Smiths, and Lucas amongst others. Some of it is to the

The 777X wingfold system is designed and produced by Liebherr-Aerospace Lindenberg...

Yes, but then they are all put into Boeing aircraft.  The flying public don't know who made what.  They just saw that a Boeing crashed and therefore would rather ride in an Airbus.
Fred

NARSES2

I'd love to see a film of the interview the pilot had with his C.O. after that take off  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on January 30, 2020, 03:02:33 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 29, 2020, 01:43:06 PM
...The 737MAX flight control system computer and software are not made by Boeing,

The 777X wingfold system is designed and produced by Liebherr-Aerospace Lindenberg...

Yes, but then they are all put into Boeing aircraft.  The flying public don't know who made what.  They just saw that a Boeing crashed and therefore would rather ride in an Airbus.

Here's the thing, in the case of the 737 Max, that software wouldn't have even been necessary if not for the design flaw/problem that existed in the aircraft. This is to say that there's plenty enough blame to go around.  I'm not a Boeing hater either, I love Boeing aircraft but they created a monster pushing the 737 into realms it shouldn't be when they should have just designed a new aircraft from the ground up.
-Sprues McDuck-