In The Navy GB - The Rules - GB EXTENDED UNTIL MIDNIGHT 14th JUNE.

Started by NARSES2, January 31, 2020, 06:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on February 03, 2020, 09:30:05 AM

I hope you are NOT thinking of SHORTENING the Harrier wings!!

As if!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on February 03, 2020, 03:25:52 PM

Raised platform on the LCAC?

That'd be physically possible, but it'd have to be maybe 10-12 ft high in 1:1 scale, which may be a tad unstable.

My cunning plan is somewhat more radical and will need a very inventive backstory.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on February 03, 2020, 09:30:05 AM
I hope you are NOT thinking of SHORTENING the Harrier wings!!

Do that & it becomes the Chinese "Diving Peregrine".
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2020, 08:58:36 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2020, 03:26:12 PM

I may yet get to build one of my LCACs then.

Perhaps with a USMC Harrier aboard?  ;)

I've just tried it, and huge though the LCAC is, it's not wide enough for the Harrier's wings.  :banghead:

Either I build the little known folding wing version of the Harrier  ;D or I need a cunning plan.  ;D

And I've actually just come up with one.................  ;)

Maybe use two LCACs and mate them with a common landing deck?  ;)

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2020, 04:33:04 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 03, 2020, 02:36:14 AM

........ and even some aircraft carriers helicopter destroyers.

Do they exist JUST to destroy helicopters then?  ;D

I think they exist just to get round post war prohibitions on Japan operating aircraft carriers* (which they are obviously not).
The big one is rumoured to become the home of Japans F35s.

*Because Aircraft Carriers are offensive weapons and Japan only operates in a defensive role.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Carriers can also be used defensively...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Tophe

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 31, 2020, 11:36:42 AM
I know there are a few builders that prefer not to do military builds. Personally I vote no and keeping it to strictly naval service otherwise it would run into a generic maritime build. Folks could do hospital ships, survey ships, SAR equipment etc if they prefer a non combatant role.
Could also add civilian assets pressed into Naval Service into the examples. I know Kit needs an excuse to get his enormous Atlantic Conveyor idea built! 
I had a problem to understand the subject as "the navy" is translated in my French as "la marine" and there is a civilian "marine marchande" (cargo ships). But Google Translate, with "navy" alone, not "the navy" gives the definition: "the branch of a nation's armed services that conducts military operations at sea." So I think I will not participate to this GB, for militarists only.
Sorry.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Old Wombat

Don't run off, yet, Tophe. I'm sure we discussed/mentioned Merchant Navy somewhere during our pre-rule discussions... Let me confer with my esteemed partners! :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 04, 2020, 05:45:50 AM
Don't run off, yet, Tophe. I'm sure we discussed/mentioned Merchant Navy somewhere during our pre-rule discussions... Let me confer with my esteemed partners! :thumbsup:

Indeed we did discuss it, I just didn't translate that discussion into the rules  :banghead:

Apologies, bear with us a bit Tophe.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Navies do a fair amount of humanitarian work.  Would a Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel optimised for post hurricane/tsunami/earthquake relief count?  If so, Tophe has room to manoeuvre. I suppose that one might even manage an asymmetric version of RV Triton.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Triton
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on February 04, 2020, 06:45:08 AM
Navies do a fair amount of humanitarian work.  Would a Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel optimised for post hurricane/tsunami/earthquake relief count?

Yes.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 04, 2020, 12:20:44 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2020, 08:58:36 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2020, 03:26:12 PM

I may yet get to build one of my LCACs then.

Perhaps with a USMC Harrier aboard?  ;)

I've just tried it, and huge though the LCAC is, it's not wide enough for the Harrier's wings.  :banghead:

Either I build the little known folding wing version of the Harrier  ;D or I need a cunning plan.  ;D

And I've actually just come up with one.................  ;)

Maybe use two LCACs and mate them with a common landing deck?  ;)

I like the idea, Tophe would too (a twin boom LCAC..........) but I'm not sure I have the space, nor the World Bank account that I'd need to fund it.  :o

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force counts as a navy.  One which IRL has its own aircraft and even some aircraft carriers helicopter destroyers.

Hmm, so does Australia   ;) ;) ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 04, 2020, 09:24:11 AM
Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force counts as a navy.  One which IRL has its own aircraft and even some aircraft carriers helicopter destroyers.

Hmm, so does Australia   ;) ;) ;)

FIGHT!!!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter