In The Navy GB - The Rules - GB EXTENDED UNTIL MIDNIGHT 14th JUNE.

Started by NARSES2, January 31, 2020, 06:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Rules amended to make it clearer that civil, i:e Merchant Naval subjects are more than welcome.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Joe C-P

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 04, 2020, 09:23:37 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 04, 2020, 12:20:44 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2020, 08:58:36 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2020, 03:26:12 PM

I may yet get to build one of my LCACs then.

Perhaps with a USMC Harrier aboard?  ;)

I've just tried it, and huge though the LCAC is, it's not wide enough for the Harrier's wings.  :banghead:

Either I build the little known folding wing version of the Harrier  ;D or I need a cunning plan.  ;D

And I've actually just come up with one.................  ;)

Maybe use two LCACs and mate them with a common landing deck?  ;)

I like the idea, Tophe would too (a twin boom LCAC..........) but I'm not sure I have the space, nor the World Bank account that I'd need to fund it.  :o

Build it in 1/350 or 1/700 scale, those don't need much space.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Tophe

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 05, 2020, 01:37:03 AM
Rules amended to make it clearer that civil, i:e Merchant Naval subjects are more than welcome.
Thanks! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

CammNut

Ok, diving in here, I have just acquired a Microscale 1/144 Convair 990 airliner kit - it literally has just three pieces - which I plan to build as a US Navy P-7 Coronado 2 FAST (Fast Anti-Submarine Technology), a high-speed jet-powered ASW aircraft designed to dash to intercept Soviet submarines and ruin their day. If I get the time, I want to display it alongside Revell's box-scale (1/136) Martin SeaMaster modified to a production P6M-2.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: CammNut on February 11, 2020, 03:54:30 PM

Ok, diving in here, I have just acquired a Microscale 1/144 Convair 990 airliner kit -

Ooooooooh, not too many of THOSE around! Well done in finding it. :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

CammNut

thanks - and oops, posted to wrong thread - sorry!

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 31, 2020, 01:04:38 PM

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 31, 2020, 11:36:42 AM

I know Kit needs an excuse to get his enormous Atlantic Conveyor idea built! 

I don't need an  excuse, I need TIME, and lots of it.

It's not a Whiff though.......................

Why am I visualising a conveyor belt with signer posts to U.S.A. in one direction and U.K. in the other.....  :o

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on February 16, 2020, 01:09:21 PM

Why am I visualising a conveyor belt with signer posts to U.S.A. in one direction and U.K. in the other.....  :o

Nonononono, it's a SHIP, but it's in 1/144 scale so it's almost 5 feet long!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2020, 01:47:56 PM
Quote from: Gondor on February 16, 2020, 01:09:21 PM

Nonononono, it's a SHIP, but it's in 1/144 scale so it's almost 5 feet long!

Someone in the Luton Model Boat Club built one at 1/72nd back in the '90s. Powered by car batteries (also acting as ballast)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Doug K on February 17, 2020, 11:58:42 AM

Someone in the Luton Model Boat Club built one at 1/72nd back in the '90s. Powered by car batteries (also acting as ballast)

A 1/72 Atlantic Conveyor?  :o

THAT I'd like to have seen!

Regards
Kit

kerick

If I get myself in gear I would like to enter a project using the wings salvaged from a previous build. I would prefer to use these previously assembled parts as opposed to cutting up another kit. It would only be the wings and possibly tail surfaces. Plenty of PSR of other parts to make up for it. Would this be acceptable?

Anybody know of a flying boat hull that would fit to the underside of a 1/72nd A-10? This is inspired by ericr's A-10/CL 215 combo.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on February 20, 2020, 03:54:35 PM

Anybody know of a flying boat hull that would fit to the underside of a 1/72nd A-10? This is inspired by ericr's A-10/CL 215 combo.

How about the CL-215 itself, or the turbo-prop CL-415?

Heller do them both, which is where I guess Ericr got his from.

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 20, 2020, 04:28:25 PM

How about the CL-215 itself, or the turbo-prop CL-415?

Heller do them both, which is where I guess Ericr got his from.

He used a 1/72nd CL-415 hull on a 1/48th A-10. I'm going to used a 1/72nd A-10 fuselage so something small would have to work. I bet Airfix has some sort of small flying boat. Or I might carve something from balsa.

I'm planning on placing wings from an S-3 Viking in a high mounted position on an A-10 fuselage with the A-10 engines mounted above the wing. Tail structure is TBD. I might try to cut the S-3 wings and reglue into a gull shape to get a little more clearance above the water.

I've been looking at the Beriev BE-200 and thinking.........
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Airfix do a Grumman Gosling, but that may be too small. They also do the Duck, but that has an odd shaped hull.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

For an 1:72 A-10, Revell's vintage 1:166 Convair Tradewind hull might IMHO match. But this would certainly call for a lot of PSR if the fuselages were to be integrated into each other.