In The Navy GB - The Rules - GB EXTENDED UNTIL MIDNIGHT 14th JUNE.

Started by NARSES2, January 31, 2020, 06:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 18, 2020, 04:23:20 AM
Carlos, I haven't discussed this with zenrat but I'm giving you the go-ahead on this, it is all in pieces, after all. :thumbsup:

Yep, good to go as far as I am concerned.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

This one may be pushing it, and if it's a "no" I completely understand, but as I just got back to the bench after almost exactly a year away, I thought I'd ask if the A-4 I started a year ago would be eligible. 

Here it is as it was when I set it aside.

Obviously a lot of the construction is done, especially as it will be an inflight build with the gear retracted. If it's a 'no' I'll have plenty of time to find something else that I can build, but it never hurts to ask.    :thumbsup:

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

Ah yes, I remember your excellent stands.

I haven't consulted my esteemed colleague, or Chris, but I think i'm safe saying you have got far too much work done there mate.  Should they both disagree then i'll withdraw my objection but I don't think they will.

I would however like to encourage you to finish it and put it in to the inspiration thread.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Yeah, sorry, mate, I have to agree with Fred, there is too much work done already. :(

However, if you should come up with another idea for a less-worked-on entry we'd be happy to see it evolve here! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Yeah, I assumed it would be too far gone, but thought I'd ask anyway.  Oh well no biggie, plenty of time to decide on another entry.  Thanks fellas!!   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on February 04, 2020, 06:45:08 AM
Navies do a fair amount of humanitarian work.  Would a Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel optimised for post hurricane/tsunami/earthquake relief count?  If so, Tophe has room to manoeuvre. I suppose that one might even manage an asymmetric version of RV Triton.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Triton

There's a proposal knocking around, complete with a petition and some political backing, to use UK foreign-aid funding to build a hospital ship and/or disaster-relief ship for the Royal Navy. It would be something akin to HMS Argus (which is now running out of life), i.e. a cargo ship with a helicopter deck on top, plus landing craft (somewhere). It isn't a ruse either: the ship would be unarmed (or only armed to 'anti-hijacking' standard) and would genuinely spend most of it's time doing aid work. Of course, it can't be denied that by doing so, it would free up some of the RN's very limited number of proper warships to do properly warshipy things... :o

There is a kind-of precedent for this: one of Italy's San Giorgio class landing ships is operated by the Navy, but was funded by the government's Ministry of Civil Protection as a disaster relief ship. Obviously in this case, it's for disasters in Italy itself, since the country's geography makes almost all of it accessible by ship-launched helicopter.

Article about the proposal: https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-plan-for-a-british-hospital-ship-gains-political-support/

San Giorgio class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Giorgio-class_amphibious_transport_dock

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 23, 2020, 02:40:23 AM

Obviously in this case, it's for disasters in Italy itself, since the country's geography makes almost all of it accessible by ship-launched helicopter.

Just like the UK....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 23, 2020, 02:56:12 AM

Obviously in this case, it's for disasters in Italy itself, since the country's geography makes almost all of it accessible by ship-launched helicopter.

Indeed, however I suspect that the Italian Ministry of Civil Protection and the British Department For International Development have rather different remits.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Rheged on February 04, 2020, 06:45:08 AM
Navies do a fair amount of humanitarian work.  Would a Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel optimised for post hurricane/tsunami/earthquake relief count?  If so, Tophe has room to manoeuvre. I suppose that one might even manage an asymmetric version of RV Triton.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Triton

There's a proposal knocking around, complete with a petition and some political backing, to use UK foreign-aid funding to build a hospital ship and/or disaster-relief ship for the Royal Navy. It would be something akin to HMS Argus (which is now running out of life), i.e. a cargo ship with a helicopter deck on top, plus landing craft (somewhere). It isn't a ruse either: the ship would be unarmed (or only armed to 'anti-hijacking' standard) and would genuinely spend most of it's time doing aid work. Of course, it can't be denied that by doing so, it would free up some of the RN's very limited number of proper warships to do properly warshipy things... :o

There is a kind-of precedent for this: one of Italy's San Giorgio class landing ships is operated by the Navy, but was funded by the government's Ministry of Civil Protection as a disaster relief ship. Obviously in this case, it's for disasters in Italy itself, since the country's geography makes almost all of it accessible by ship-launched helicopter.

Article about the proposal: https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-plan-for-a-british-hospital-ship-gains-political-support/

San Giorgio class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Giorgio-class_amphibious_transport_dock

That could also provide jobs and a boost to British industry at a time when that is needed.  Unless of course they awarded the contract overseas...
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2020, 05:04:00 AM

That could also provide jobs and a boost to British industry at a time when that is needed.  Unless of course they awarded the contract overseas...

Are there any non-military shipyards left in the UK though? :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

crudebuteffective

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 23, 2020, 05:29:30 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2020, 05:04:00 AM

Are there any non-military shipyards left in the UK though? :(

Cammell Laird at birkenhead......they built the new ice breaker RRS david attenborough
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 23, 2020, 02:56:12 AM

Italy is prone to earthquakes though and Etna or Vesuvius could always go "bang" again, after all Etna is quite active. The UK is much quieter geologically.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

one month to go.

Plus the inevitable extension.

Time for Dizz to knock out six or twelve more builds...
Fred

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

No. No it's not. I need one, too, if I'm to have a hope of finishing my one build.

Fred!?
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est