In The Navy GB - General Discussion - GB EXTENDED UNTIL MIDNIGHT 14th JUNE.

Started by NARSES2, January 31, 2020, 06:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

My plans are: a russian navy VTOL Mig 21 in a pogo/ vertijet lay-out, a convair skate like contraption and a f-19 seaplane. Is the duration of this GB for the coming 12 months?!

David aka 63cpe

tigercat

I'm pretty sure the Royal Navy even had some kind of trench digging machine  which seems like mission creep .

https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/winston-nellie-trenching-machine/

Ah  there we go Nellie

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

May have been useful 25 years earlier.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tigercat

Classic example of soldiers always preparing to fight the previous war

PR19_Kit

It looks good though, those GR5s were the best looking Harriers to my mind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Nick

Random ideas. Feel free to steal any of them.

Swiss Navy Aircraft Carrier. Thinking perhaps of USS Sable and USS Wolverine.

Irish Naval Service - Seaplanes for ASR. Catalina, Sunderland, Beriev Be-200

Assault Hovercraft.
Canadian Marines. Australian Outback Patrol. Long Range Desert Group. Arabian Gulf. British Antarctic Survey.

Manx Naval Service - enlarged and armed Severn class lifeboats?

Sodor Defence Force - steam powered with smiley faces, naturally.

Congo River Defense Force.
Ugandan Navy - Lake Victoria

Ghana - why haven't they developed a seaborne machine on these lines?  :wacko:
https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/check-out-this-certifiably-insane-battle-tank-technolog-1748438821 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PpFnD6tBpI
https://ghananewss.com/exclusive-view-of-kantanka-okatakyie-flying-doors-video/

Camels are known as Ships of the Desert. Some sort of Naval Detachment during the First World War - TE Lawrence?

Airships should clearly be operated by the Navy. The clue is in the name....

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: 63cpe on February 04, 2020, 11:20:54 AM
My plans are: a russian navy VTOL Mig 21 in a pogo/ vertijet lay-out, a convair skate like contraption and a f-19 seaplane.
David aka 63cpe

Reminds me of a Monogram F-19 somewhere in the stash that could be navalized with some F-18 donor parts (esp. a landing gear, the kit has none!). Has been on my agenda for a long time.

Rheged

Naval trials vessels converted from older warships ; eg C57 HMS  Cumberland and D43 HMS Matapan ; are possibly inspiration.   

A county class destroyer helicopter trials/ training ship, perhaps; or even one of the cancelled Hood class battlecruisers completed as a hybrid  carrier/heavy cruiser
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on February 05, 2020, 04:48:30 AM

Irish Naval Service - Seaplanes for ASR. Catalina, Sunderland, Beriev Be-200

Oooooh yes, I've got a Beriev 200 kit somewhere................  ;D

A cracking looking machine.

Maybe in an Imperial Airways scheme?  ;)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

OMG that crappy Kantanka tank.  ;D ;D🤦‍♂️
-Sprues McDuck-

63cpe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 05, 2020, 08:27:33 AM
Quote from: 63cpe on February 04, 2020, 11:20:54 AM
My plans are: a russian navy VTOL Mig 21 in a pogo/ vertijet lay-out, a convair skate like contraption and a f-19 seaplane.
David aka 63cpe

Reminds me of a Monogram F-19 somewhere in the stash that could be navalized with some F-18 donor parts (esp. a landing gear, the kit has none!). Has been on my agenda for a long time.

The Monogram F-19...from the times each model brand had their own interpretation of the secret stealthfighter...Good show! Go for it!

David aka 63cpe

Joe C-P

Argh - I still haven't found the new house I need so I can rebuild my hobby room!

Ideas, ideas, I had some ideas though.

Alternate USS Montana (post Iowa class) that one I already have in my head.
USN AAV for protecting ships in harbor
Philippine Navy pre-dreadnought
USN B-35/B2T
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

kitbasher

what to build, what to build for this GB??

Options:
- Frankenfighter made from parts from scrapped builds plus bits from the spares box - could be set in 60s, 70s, 80s or at a push the 90s.
- cut and shut cross-kitting for a 50s fighter
- a Sea Hawk

hmmmm - will only build the one for the GB though
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

Ideas: feel free to steal.

County class DDG converted into a DDH, Chilean-style, but for the Royal Navy in the 1970s (as the Type 82s come into service to replace them... ;) )

Definitely: Seaslug removed, flight deck extended to stern, twin Seacats on hanger roof, 2 x Sea Kings.

Possibly: Ikara launcher in place of A-turret, handling room in place of B-turret magazine room, 4 x Exocet in B-pos (on handling room roof), 2 x 40mm Bofors on cantilevered platforms instead of the 20mm.

Sweden has carriers: Viggen, Gripen or Lansen with folding wings, hook etc...

Alternative Type 42 (either alt.RN or export) with different gun, Mk.13 launcher in place of Sea Dart, one STIR tracker in place of the forward Type 909,  twin light AAA turrets in place of the aft 909 with a small tracker between or close to them. You could get another fire-control channel by replacing the Type 1022 radar with a SIGNAAL WM-series 'egg'.

ASW Type 42: Ikara in place of Sea Dart, RTN-20 in place of forward 909 for gunfire control, beefed up hangar roof & aft 909 position with Seacat.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones