Yokosuka P2Y Tenousei High Speed Medium Bomber: Finished Pics Page 8.

Started by zenrat, February 03, 2020, 12:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I've seen some latter War prototypes with green uppers (not sure if IJN or IJA) and orange lower surfaces.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

This may be a wooden airframe.  I haven't decided.  Maybe metal framed with wooden skin?

I took pictures of the cockpit.
Highspeed Bomber WIP 18-03-2020 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Highspeed Bomber WIP 18-03-2020 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

He's certainly Japanese with that padded/quilted top  :thumbsup: Was it part of the life jacket ? Often wondered, without looking it up for some reason  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Pilot is from a Hasegawa IJN crew set.  Which basically contains two sets of the crew sprues (or crue sprews) from the Hasegawa Kawanishi H8K2.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

I've been researching colour schemes.
It seems there are more than a few areas of contention when it comes to WW2 Japanese paint jobs.
Mauve paint and Hinomaru with a square yellow background to name but two.
But I might save them for more subtle whiffs* and just make something up for this one.

*I have quite a few Hasegawa Japanese aircraft in the stash so it might be good to try and paint each one in a different contentious scheme.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 21, 2020, 05:50:23 AM
I've been researching colour schemes.
It seems there are more than a few areas of contention when it comes to WW2 Japanese paint jobs.
Mauve paint and Hinomaru with a square yellow background to name but two.
But I might save them for more subtle whiffs* and just make something up for this one.

*I have quite a few Hasegawa Japanese aircraft in the stash so it might be good to try and paint each one in a different contentious scheme.

Plus as the ultimate heresy there were examples of naval aircraft being painted in Air Force colours  ;) I stirred up the most wonderful, unintentional argument at a show with that one, and then just wandered off  :angel: :angel:

zenrat

I have some sheets of transfers meant to do the fancy camo patterns on IJA fighters.  They might go well on IJN planes then if it causes upset...

I attached the ailerons and elevators today and put more weight on the nose.  Time for paint.  I have decided to use paint I bought a while ago and then only ever used on a car (Mitsubishi Evo Pearl Harbour commemorative edition).  IJN Green over IJN Grey/Green with a brightly coloured tail.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 23, 2020, 03:23:56 AM
I have some sheets of transfers meant to do the fancy camo patterns on IJA fighters. 

I've got some of those and some Italian "sand and spinach" desert ones. I've only used the Italian ones and they work really well  :thumbsup:

zenrat

So, on Tuesday, having sprayed this with an overall coat of IJN undersides grey green I was admiring the finish when I realised I hadn't scribed the bomb bay doors or crew hatches.

D'oh!   :banghead:  :angry:

I scribed them yesterday and them made good the mess I had made with PPP. Today saw some sanding, light scribing and cleaning out of scribed lines and I could put on a light coat of primer over the affected area.
I'm now back to where I was on Tuesday morning.

Although I have made a lot of progress painting the pilot so I may install him and the cockpit and attach the nose cone and mask the windows before redoing the paint.
I usually like to paint before attaching canopies but it may be better not to in this case.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 26, 2020, 04:55:32 AM

I usually like to paint before attaching canopies but it may be better not to in this case.

Must admit that's my preferred way, but occasionally I find it best to fit the canopy. Especially where in the case of the current Phantom it's a vacform.

zenrat

Canopy/nose attached.  The darker mottling is preshading to give the top coat a patchy appearance.
Highspeed Bomber WIP 29-03-2020 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Highspeed Bomber WIP 29-03-2020 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Crew access hatch is on the underside between the nose gear bay and the bomb bay.  Emergency egress hatch is on the upper side surrounding the astrodome.
Unless I write jettisonable canopy glazing into the back story then it is going to be very hard for the pilot to bale out in an emergency.
Although from what I have read that would not be unusual in a WW2 Japanese design as they did not apparently worry too much about crew comfort and such.

Fred

NARSES2

Looking good mate, but I can't shake the idea out of my head that somewhere along the line either an ex Arado or Dornier engineer was involved ?

PR19_Kit

The cockpit does look very Arado 234-ish, doesn't it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Love the pilot, this is looking good indeed!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TallEng

Quote from: zenrat on March 29, 2020, 01:06:27 AM
Crew access hatch is on the underside between the nose gear bay and the bomb bay.  Emergency egress hatch is on the upper side surrounding the astrodome.
Unless I write jettisonable canopy glazing into the back story then it is going to be very hard for the pilot to bale out in an emergency.
Although from what I have read that would not be unusual in a WW2 Japanese design as they did not apparently worry too much about crew comfort and such.

if as suggested by NARSES2 the Germans were involved (obviously plans/engineers smuggled to Japan in Submarines)
then the whole perspex nose would be blown off in emergancy and the pilot ejected by some basic ejector seat/cannon thingy :o

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks