Yokosuka P2Y Tenousei High Speed Medium Bomber: Finished Pics Page 8.

Started by zenrat, February 03, 2020, 12:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Thanks Womby.

Time to bite the bullet next and scratch build a cockpit into that glazed nose cone.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

loupgarou

Hmmm. The offspring of Arado 234 fornication with a B-25 ???
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

The vertical tails are unmodified Mitchell.  I left them that way as a nod to the original concept.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on March 01, 2020, 01:14:20 PM

Beat me to it, my thoughts exactly  ;)

Quote from: zenrat on March 01, 2020, 02:04:05 AM

Time to bite the bullet next and scratch build a cockpit into that glazed nose cone.

You could go down the prone pilot route ? Might make the task a little simpler ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 02, 2020, 06:07:38 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on March 01, 2020, 01:14:20 PM

Beat me to it, my thoughts exactly  ;)

Quote from: zenrat on March 01, 2020, 02:04:05 AM

You could go down the prone pilot route ? Might make the task a little simpler ?

I'm hoping to fit in a seated pilot and a prone bombardier.  Doesn't matter if they are a bit cramped.  I don't think crew comfort was too high up the list of IJN design requirements.
Fred

zenrat

Started work on the cockpit today.  I have managed to fit a seated pilot with space alongside him for a prone bombardier.  But it is tight.
PSR is almost complete on the rest of the airframe.  I have sanded off all the raised detail.
Tests have shown that, despite relocating the main UC legs to the back of the nacelles, more nose weight is needed.
Highspeed Bomber WIP 15-03-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

NARSES2

You feeling o.k. Fred ? You tested it, before sealing it ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 15, 2020, 07:10:08 AM

Don't be daft.  I sealed it up first and then put fishing weights coated with PVA in through the hole where that stick is (access way from cockpit to rest of plane).  I couldn't test it until I got the wings on and didn't poke enough in through the hole.
Fred

AndrewF

Quote from: zenrat on March 16, 2020, 01:50:11 AM

Don't be daft.  I sealed it up first and then put fishing weights coated with PVA in through the hole where that stick is (access way from cockpit to rest of plane).  I couldn't test it until I got the wings on and didn't poke enough in through the hole.

;D ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 16, 2020, 01:50:11 AM

Phewww, thank the appropriate deity for that  :angel:, I thought you were sick or something  ;D

zenrat

I finished building the cockpit today.
Into a Mitchell glazed nose I have fitted a pilot, seat, controls, control panel, bomb aimers pad and bombsight.  It's a tight fit and the bombardier will either have to be a child, leg amputee or lay with his legs inside the rest of the aircraft.
No room for a co-pilot.
But by this stage of the war the IJN was running short of qualified aircrew.
I would have taken a picture but I left my phone in the house.

Having sanded the airframe smooth I have to remember to scribe a crew access door and bomb doors.
I also have to decide on paint.  Overall orange is tempting but towards the end of the war they stopped painting protoypes that way and just gave them operational schemes.
Fred

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on March 17, 2020, 04:26:59 AM
Overall orange is tempting but towards the end of the war they stopped painting protoypes that way and just gave them operational schemes.

And, if I recall correctly, "operational" schemes had become green splotches on bare metal (though I can't remember if it was to reduce weight & improve performance, or because they were running out of paint, or both).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est