Saab/ B.A.C Dragon FGR. 2

Started by chrisonord, February 17, 2020, 02:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

During the late 1960's the RAF  was in need of a multi role combat aircraft that could  be used both as an interceptor and an attack aircraft.  To keep development costs and time  down,  an existing aircraft  was considered  that could be  modified easily.  Saab  was chosen  and their  proven and successful  Draken  was chosen  to be the RAF next  multi role aircraft.  The RAF  ordered  2 seater  versions of the  Draken called obviously the Dragon  so as to lessen the workload of the pilot  during  strike missions. B.A.C worked with  Rolls Royce  to upgrade the avon engine  so as to keep the  mach 2 performance  when  fully  loaded.  This aircraft  is an in service  aircraft  during  the mid seventies , the Dragon  was liked by  all who flee it and it exceeded all expectations in both  air to air and air to ground  missions  . The aircraft  was finally  phased out of service  when  replaced by the  Tornado. The  kit is the old  Heller one  and the  canopy caused me a lot of problems, mostly the vague  frame lines that I  couldn't see enough  to mask properly  but they were too prominent just to  leave.  I did 5 attempts to  hand paint the lines  so they  ended up  being a  sod it that will do. Then I  got a gluey fingerprint on one  side, hence the  one  sided  pictures.  I will  try and wet sand rhe glue out  when  it has cured  over a few days  hopefully I will be able to  polish out the lines too.
Chris
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7hRjXjZRBHXvurASA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e4SrkVRoHPYZfCGb6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bq2i2xkq7X2AKiCE6
I will do some more pictures if the canopy  surgery works
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Very nice Chris, did you know that there was an actually proposal from Saab to the RAF, but not with the Draken. It was the Viggen with various engine options.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Very nice! Has a slight Dassault (Rafale?) vibe about the front end with the twin-seater cockpit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

Thanks guys,
I enjoyed building this  even though it was  a bit awkward for me to build.  I  like Drakens and had to do an RAF one.  The two seat version made it all the better for the  job I had for it. I have  a Viggen in the RAF  pile already  Robert so that info makes it that bit more feasible.  :thumbsup:
Chris

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

That worked very well Chris.  :thumbsup:

DO tell us more about the FD2 derivative in the background though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 18, 2020, 09:50:01 AM

Thankyou Kit
The Delta 2 in the background is a  stalled  operational  interceptor  belonging to  the weapons  test and evaluation  department.  I am not  100% about the  colour scheme  so it has taken a back seat.  It just needs  decals and  firestreak missiles to  finish it really.
Chris

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on February 18, 2020, 08:24:03 AM
I have  a Viggen in the RAF  pile already  Robert so that info makes it that bit more feasible.  :thumbsup:
Chris

And you wouldn't have to change anything from what I've read. One option was for a Spey to be installed where all you need to do was change the exhaust nozzle inside of the end duct.

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 18, 2020, 12:07:42 PM
I have  a Viggen in the RAF  pile already  Robert so that info makes it that bit more feasible.  :thumbsup:
Chris

And you wouldn't have to change anything from what I've read. One option was for a Spey to be installed where all you need to do was change the exhaust nozzle inside of the end duct.
Marvellous  if I can  build it  I will do, it would look good in a 1970's camouflage scheme

Snowtrooper

Chris

Spey-engined Viggen would have been kinda underpowered? The also suggested RR Olympus would have been a more suitable option.

Dizzyfugu

Nice!  :thumbsup: And good to see a two-seater, too.

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 18, 2020, 09:50:01 AM

My thoughts exactly! Great work, but what is happening with the FD2?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

kitnut617

Quote from: Snowtrooper on February 19, 2020, 12:56:50 AM
Chris

Spey-engined Viggen would have been kinda underpowered? The also suggested RR Olympus would have been a more suitable option.

In brackets to the caption for the Spey Viggen it says (Uprated). Another option is for an Olympus powered version, but it was quite a bit modified as was a two engine option. With the Spey, there's nothing to do to the kit except mention in the backstory it has a Spey ---- which is what Chris says he wants to do if he did it ---

steelpillow

Very convincing Draken whiff, nicely done (from this angle!). Always a lovely plane and you have managed if anything to improve it.  :thumbsup:

I have a Novo FD2 in my stash, wondering what to do with it. I have a derivative in mind, more like a bigger FD2 than Fairey's was, I'd probably mash it up with a Mirage III kit. But then there is the "other" research derivative from the BAC 221, the one that the second FD2 was used for. You know, the one with canards fitted to the nose so they "nodded" back level when the nose was lowered for landing at high AoA...
Cheers.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: steelpillow on February 20, 2020, 02:42:59 AM

But then there is the "other" research derivative from the BAC 221, the one that the second FD2 was used for. You know, the one with canards fitted to the nose so they "nodded" down when the nose was lowered...

I like the idea of that.  :thumbsup:  ;D

But converting a FROG kit to a '221 of any sort is pretty difficult, I've tried it twice, and come to the conclusion that an X-Craft '221 kit is a much better starting point.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit