Canberra interceptor

Started by chrisonord, February 22, 2020, 04:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This has been on the go for a few months now, some  crap fitting parts and a highly modified  nose that I  couldn't get to  sit straight.  The decals behaved reasonably ok as they  are a lot bigger than what I have  been using  on previous builds.
The Canberra is an in service  number 29 squadron  aircraft  circa  1960. Several  Canberra  bombers were  converted  into  interceptor variants  with some  quite  substantial modifications. The cockpit was copied from the  U.S. B-57 , more powerful engines were installed  and a rocket  booster engine  installed in the rwar of the fuselage.  Armament consists of  2 red dean missiles and an Aden cannon pack  in the fuselage belly. With the addition of a pair of  drop tanks the Canberra could  stay on station  for long  periods of time, also the pylons  the tanks are on are also capable of  carrying another pair of Red Deans  or the new Firestreak missiles.  Just  realized that I have forgotten to put the inner  landing gear doors on and glue rhe canopy  down..oops
Chris
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kj8ypq4LAZHe5aay5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvGm3dRwfhqDmUav9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gmco9NFaHJtfxpVY8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kB79H8zzKnCUxJAM6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Abo3hnKMBkHgBopKA
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Yesssssssss!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wub:

I love it, just in my own line of thought, and the B-57 canopy makes so much sense.

Those Red Deans are real monsters, aren't they? I wish I could find the ones I have stashed away somewhere so I could finish mine!

Interesting about the badly fitting radar nose as mine was the same, but it was the fuselage that was oddly shaped, not the resin add-on.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Thankyou Kit, I did  quite enjoy building this  one.  It took  a long time to build  considering how  basic the kit is but I think not pushing myself too much helped.  I have a soft spot for the Canberra  as I used to pass one on the way to  work  every morning.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2020, 04:37:32 AM
Yesssssssss!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wub:

I love it, just in my own line of thought, and the B-57 canopy makes so much sense.

Those Red Deans are real monsters, aren't they? I wish I could find the ones I have stashed away somewhere so I could finish mine!

Interesting about the badly fitting radar nose as mine was the same, but it was the fuselage that was oddly shaped, not the resin add-on.
Th nose had me scratching my head for a long time as it just wouldn't fit right even though both surfaces look right for each other. I ended up blanking the fuselage with styrene sheet and putting som styrene block in between the nose and fuselage to give it a big enough gap so as to putty and shape the correct angle for it all to meet up properly. It took several attempts and when I thought I had the right spot I had to break off the super glued nose and do it again. Total pain. The thing will have to have some yaw compensated for now I dare say  :  :rolleyes:
Thankyou Fred :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Very good Chris !

You need a bottle of superglue de-bonder on hand when using superglue.  ;) ;) ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 22, 2020, 07:16:23 AM

You need a bottle of superglue de-bonder on hand when using superglue.  ;) ;) ;)

Or a big hammer...............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

SPINNERS

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 22, 2020, 07:16:23 AM
Very good Chris !

I do have some  now  but I used only  very small drops of the  gel type stuff in an applicator.  It breaks off quite easily. It's a good thing I don't have a hammer to hand when I am building stuff I tell you.  Glutton for punishment here thought it was a good idea to  start my airfix  Bristol  Belvedere.  What a horrible kit that is  :banghead: :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on February 22, 2020, 08:15:38 AM

Glutton for punishment here thought it was a good idea to  start my airfix  Bristol  Belvedere.  What a horrible kit that is  :banghead: :banghead:

NOT a good idea! :(

You need one of the Maintrack 'Upgrade' kits for that really, but nowadays they're made by Whirlybirds and cost a FORTUNE!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Excellent! I wonder how much retrimming would be required after one Red Dean is fired and the other is still pulling down the wing!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2020, 08:52:57 AM

Glutton for punishment here thought it was a good idea to  start my airfix  Bristol  Belvedere.  What a horrible kit that is  :banghead: :banghead:

You need one of the Maintrack 'Upgrade' kits for that really, but nowadays they're made by Whirlybirds and cost a FORTUNE!  :banghead:
The fit is terrible  it really is, I don't know how  Airfix could have let it out of the factory  like that. It's got the  stamp on it 1960 so it is a bit vintage

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on February 22, 2020, 09:13:11 AM

The fit is terrible  it really is, I don't know how  Airfix could have let it out of the factory  like that. It's got the  stamp on it 1960 so it is a bit vintage

It was better back in 1960, but they don't seem to have done anything to the moulds since then.

Mind you, 'better' is used as a relative term here..................  :-\

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on February 22, 2020, 09:13:11 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2020, 08:52:57 AM

I got hold of one only a few years ago to have a go at Martin's radar conversion. And I have to agree, the fit is one of the worst. Mind you, the Superfreighter was nearly as bad.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est