Aircraft that don't have a plastic 1/72 kit

Started by McColm, February 23, 2020, 06:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

Quote from: dwomby on February 25, 2020, 12:59:14 PM
Avro Athena.  I'd take it in any form - injected, resin or vac.

David

One of the things I love about this place is the educational aspects - I'd never heard of this aircraft before.  I like it - a lot! 
Which version do you want - the Mamba, Dart, or Merlin? 

I have to say, just from looking at the pictures, I really like the turboprop versions - such good whiffing potential!  But, also very nice clean aircraft, other than the (built-in headwind) canopy.

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

I wonder why the HAL Tejas has not been offered in model form (1:72) yet?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on February 26, 2020, 01:08:56 AM

One of the things I love about this place is the educational aspects - I'd never heard of this aircraft before.  I like it - a lot! 

I have to say, just from looking at the pictures, I really like the turboprop versions - such good whiffing potential!  But, also very nice clean aircraft, other than the (built-in headwind) canopy.

With a bit of work I reckon you could build an Athena from a B-P Balliol kit. The canopies are almost the same, as well as the overall shape.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2020, 04:37:50 AM

With a bit of work I reckon you could build an Athena from a B-P Balliol kit. The canopies are almost the same, as well as the overall shape.

Yes, but it'd be the Merlin powered one, which I don't want.  Good suggestion, though.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on February 26, 2020, 04:42:56 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2020, 04:37:50 AM

Yes, but it'd be the Merlin powered one, which I don't want.  Good suggestion, though.

Yes, but if you hacked off the front of an Airfix F-27 engine........................ ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

steelpillow

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 24, 2020, 04:14:02 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 24, 2020, 12:35:15 AM
Any Spitfires that don't have a mainstream injection moulded kit?

Offhand, we'd need from Airfix or Eduard:
<snip>

We have NO mainstream Seafires in 72nd.  I don't count the botched Seafire IIc from Airfix as a kit as the Vc parts are utter excrement that aren't fit for the bin, although the hook part *may* give you a reasonable basis for a Seafire Ib, but it's still not a proper kit.

There are also quite a few notable one-offs, such as the prototype K5054, Speed Spitfire, various floatplanes and two-seaters, and the Mk.V that the Germans stuck a Daimler-Benz engine on from a Bf 109.

Do any mainstream kits include stuff like the Abouquir filter, various types of drop tank or the Mk XXX beer barrels?
Cheers.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: steelpillow on March 03, 2020, 12:02:36 PM

There are also quite a few notable one-offs, such as the prototype K5054, Speed Spitfire, various floatplanes and two-seaters, and the Mk.V that the Germans stuck a Daimler-Benz engine on from a Bf 109.

Do any mainstream kits include stuff like the Abouquir filter, various types of drop tank or the Mk XXX beer barrels?

They're all a fairly limited market, and most were well covered by the accessory providers, Aeroclub sadly being the main one. :(

Airkit did many of the various filters as add-ons.

Regards
Kit

steelpillow

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 03, 2020, 12:06:14 PM

They're all a fairly limited market

That's all right, although the Internet seems rather keen on some of them.
I'll let you get on and build your more mainstream Avro Athena ;)
Cheers.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 24, 2020, 04:14:02 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 24, 2020, 12:35:15 AM
Any Spitfires that don't have a mainstream injection moulded kit?

Offhand, we'd need from Airfix or Eduard:
<snip>

We have NO mainstream Seafires in 72nd.  I don't count the botched Seafire IIc from Airfix as a kit as the Vc parts are utter excrement that aren't fit for the bin, although the hook part *may* give you a reasonable basis for a Seafire Ib, but it's still not a proper kit.

Italeri, Tamiya and Hobbyboss supply Aboukir filters is their mk Vbs.  Eduard did the beer barrels in their mk IX Royal Combo and they have at least two types of drop tank in their kits.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

steelpillow

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 03, 2020, 03:58:02 PM
Italeri, Tamiya and Hobbyboss supply Aboukir filters is their mk Vbs.  Eduard did the beer barrels in their mk IX Royal Combo and they have at least two types of drop tank in their kits.

Thanks, will look out for those.
Cheers.

The Wooksta!

I'll happily let you have a set of the beer barrels - I have a considerable number of the Royal Combos and won't be doing any of the beer run aircraft.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

The Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vc has an Aboukir filter.  The more recent 1/48 Vb has a slipper tank.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Schneider Trophy aircraft are sadly lacking as modern 1/72 injection moulded kits.

IIRC there is a Supermarine S5 or 6 in a museum in Gosport/Portsmouth/Southampton which Airfix could LIDAR.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2020, 03:03:32 AM
Schneider Trophy aircraft are sadly lacking as modern 1/72 injection moulded kits.

Indeed and some of the Italian types would be nice in plastic rather than resin. Plus just think of the fun Eduard could have with all those surface radiators to be done in etch  ;)

It is odd that there isn't a modern S.6 though.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2020, 03:03:32 AM

IIRC there is a Supermarine S5 or 6 in a museum in Gosport/Portsmouth/Southampton which Airfix could LIDAR.

That's the S6A, N248, at the Solent Sky Museum in Southampton, a wonderful place to visit. It's not exactly the same as an S6B, but it's close.

The Trophy winning S6B, S1595, is hanging in the roof at the Science Museum in London, but it's a long way up and it'd be difficult to do any sort of scan on it.

Wiki says that its sistership's whereabouts , S1595, is unknown, but it used to be at RAF Henlow in the 70s as I measured it there prior to building a 1/48 model of it for the RAF Museum. I can't imagine anyone would have scrapped it!

Regards
Kit