Aircraft that don't have a plastic 1/72 kit

Started by McColm, February 23, 2020, 06:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I heartily endorse the F-16XL and the HF-24 Marut. The latter is criminally overlooked.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Quote from: The Rat on February 24, 2020, 04:49:23 PM
A Bristol Brigand would be nice.

Valom did at least three but more likely four boxings of a Brigand, but accuracy and fit issues let it down.  Not exactly hard to find either.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Rheged

Does anyone do either a Cunliffe-Owen OA-1 (Clyde Clipper)  or any of the Westland Pterodactyl series (which would probably be pterrifyingly awkward to build)?

Yes, I know I'm risking being sent to the naughty step setting up this ptorrid series of puns.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Then there's the tailless aircraft from the aviator Geoffrey T.R.Hill although only a concept which could have been the fourth V Bomber never made it past the drawing board.  To me the artwork looks like a Vickers Valiant with the wings from the Avro Vulcan.

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 24, 2020, 04:14:02 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 24, 2020, 12:35:15 AM
Any Spitfires that don't have a mainstream injection moulded kit?

Lee?

Quite a few of the PR types have only had limited run kits.  I don't count Special Hobby, Sword or AZ as mainstream - Airfix, Revell, Hasegawa and arguably Eduard, yes.

Offhand, we'd need from Airfix or Eduard:
PR.I
PR.IV
Vb - the alternatives from Revell and Italeri are bad. Tamiya is a good kit, but an inaccurate Spitfire.
HFVI
PR.X
PR.XI
mk XII
PR.XIII
mk XIV - Academy is a good kit, but has serious shape issues.
mk XVIII
F21
F24

We have NO mainstream Seafires in 72nd.  I don't count the botched Seafire IIc from Airfix as a kit as the Vc parts are utter excrement that aren't fit for the bin, although the hook part *may* give you a reasonable basis for a Seafire Ib, but it's still not a proper kit.

Thanks Lee.

Using Lee's definition of mainstream and sticking to 1/72 it seems astonishing we don't have a modern tooled Sea Vixen, Javelin, MiG 19, Whirlwind, Hornet...

As far as more esoteric aircraft go i'd personally like a Yak 28 (with multiple version options) and a Yak 38.  I have both by A Model.  The 28 is challenging, the 38 is crap.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Weaver on February 24, 2020, 05:57:47 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 24, 2020, 03:00:33 AM
Well, i'd have to say the F-16XL, which is OOP and can only be mad in 1/72 if you find the old Monogram... and most know how that goes. There's only the resin conversion set from the Japanese home made Lonestar resin parts.
The CF-105 Arrow would be another one in my list...
In helicopters, the Bell 206 Jet Ranger and the Gazelle could be a choice. There's a Jet ranger by Italeri OOP since 2011 but it's very hard to find one at a good price.

Airfix did the Gazelle in 1/72nd and AFAIK it's not hard to find: I've got a stack!

Revell had an OH-58D Kiowa in production in 2015. It would take a lot of work to make a civvie 206 out of it though.

Well, the Gazelle is OOP also and most on ebay aren't very cheap. I would buy one or two more if sellers weren't asking for the price of a 1/48 kit. The Bell 206 is very hard to find and almost always very expensive for such a tiny kit, and to build a civil version out of the Revell OH-58D would be quite a chore and i don't want to waste my time with it. Guess i'll have to keep looking for one at a reasonable price or wait for a new Italeri rebox.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on February 25, 2020, 01:39:20 AM

or any of the Westland Pterodactyl series (which would probably be pterrifyingly awkward to build)?

There was a vacform of the Pterodactyl V, the most 'streamlined' version, if you can call any of them streamlined of course. It may have been Formaplane, it's their sort of thing. I had one at one time, but just for once thought better of it and gave it away to some deserving soul.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Rareplanes did a Jetranger, in of course 1/72, many years ago. It was just the fuselage halves and landing skids, all in one sheet of clear vac formed acetate.
I had one once, damned if I know what happened to it in the end.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitbasher

Quote from: JayBee on February 25, 2020, 11:34:11 AM
Rareplanes did a Jetranger, in of course 1/72, many years ago. It was just the fuselage halves and landing skids, all in one sheet of clear vac formed actate.

Matchbox did an OH-58 Kiowa, almost a Jetranger.  Revell and Italeri Kiowas the same moulding?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

dwomby

Avro Athena.  I'd take it in any form - injected, resin or vac.

David

PR19_Kit

Rareplanes did a Jetranger, in of course 1/72, many years ago. It was just the fuselage halves and landing skids, all in one sheet of clear vac formed acetate.

So they did, yes!  :thumbsup:

I've got two of them, perhaps one of them is yours Jim?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

I've just checked on scalemates and i was wrong, the latest rebox of the Italeri Jet Ranger was in 2015, which gives me some hope that a new edition will pop up when we least expect it.  :rolleyes:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2020, 02:13:38 PM

So they did, yes!  :thumbsup:

I've got two of them, perhaps one of them is yours Jim?

I've got one of those Rare Plane 1/72 206's too, and an M&E one, also formed in clear plastic (they look the same). And Italeri does a 1/72 206 in injection, box #1372. Has a couple of Police Department schemes. I've got two of them.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DogfighterZen

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 25, 2020, 03:06:28 PM
...And Italeri does a 1/72 206 in injection, box #1372. Has a couple of Police Department schemes. I've got two of them.

That's the box that was released in 2015. I've only been able to find one on Ebay and it's in Australia, which would push the cost over 30€... way too much for such a small kit... at least for me... if anyone wants to part with one of theirs, i'm interested, as long as it's for a reasonable price.  ;)

The Wooksta!

Dragon/Cyberhobby do a Sea Vixen to modern standards.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic