DONE @p.3 +++ 1:72 North American F-1F "Fury Dog", USMC, 1979

Started by Dizzyfugu, February 25, 2020, 12:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Looking good Dizzy!

The horizontal cut is always tricky to get right. But you managed to do this very well. Now the psr is starting....(oh joy). Good luck!

Cheers,
David

AndrewF

Dizzyfugu

Progress is good. After three PSR turns (a fourth will be necessary for some small blems left over), I added the wings and the stabilizers yesterday evening. Looks like a Sabre, but also has a serious A-7 touch! Since I will drop the flaps, I have to sculpt respective fairings at the wing/fuselage intersection (I'll insert styrene wedges and see where this will lead...  :rolleyes:). But this is not a big issue, since the whole interscetion area needs (more) PSR, because the parts hardly match each other. These two aircraft and their respective models are really very different from each other!

NARSES2

I'm always fascinated by how you can envision the end product from so many disparate parts  :thumbsup:. I wouldn't know where to start.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

In my case, I have a very clear idea of what I want to achieve in the end, also because of the backgorunds I write for the builds. And I tend to build such things "mentally", going through the process and figuring out solutions beforehand. Does not always work out (e. g. in this case with the spine transplant, reality turned out to be more complex...), but I normally have a very clear and straight way ahead - that's probably also the reason why I seem to work at a relatively high pace.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 05, 2020, 06:37:19 AM
And I tend to build such things "mentally", going through the process and figuring out solutions beforehand.

That's definitely the key I think. I've always been able to solve problems when and if they crop up. That was always my strong point back in my work days as well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Gondor

This is another of your great builds Dizzy, looking forward to the end result  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Glad you like it - not as spectacular as other builds that are on the way, but still quite a challenge!
Visible progress slowed down. Spent last evening with more PSR (4th turn overall, plus the wing/fuselage section inside of the flaps) and discovered that I had cut out not only the Fury's flaps, but also the ailerons...  :rolleyes: Well, that's no big damage, but could have been avoided. Now I have to glue them back into place and fill some visible seams. However, I will use this flaw to position them slightly off of neutral position, and the flaps will still be lowered to the max.
I also drilled gun ports into the lower nose and added the typically closed landing gear covers.

PR19_Kit

A very subtle 'Sabre-like' aeroplane.  :thumbsup:

I do like the FJ-4 cockpit arrangement.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Agree, the result of this kitbashing is really more subtle than I expected. Looks good, though, and painting has slowly started.  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Rats, painting stalled a bit because the Humbrol 127 (FS 36375) for the undersides turned out to be one of those dud enamels from Belgium: the paint refuses to dry! So the model spent the night on a heater element. I hope that I can "dry-burn" the affair, so that the upper surfaces can be painted today.  :-\