A-10 seaplane fighter

Started by kerick, February 29, 2020, 10:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewF

Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2020, 03:05:55 AM
Depends on their intended use.
If they are wheels onto which the aircraft is to be landed then yes, too small.
If however they are retractable beaching wheels (lowered after the aircraft lands on the water so it can drive up onto dry land) then they could be an appropriate size.

Yes, it was a purely aesthetic comment rather than a usability issue.

ericr

ah yes, that's a good point : beaching gear wheels probably don't need to be that big

Maybe VTOL airplane could have such small wheels too ? (a very simple whiffing trick  ;D)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ericr on March 05, 2020, 06:31:16 AM

Maybe VTOL airplane could have such small wheels too ? (a very simple whiffing trick  ;D)

Only if they can land very softly.................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I've seen some helicopters with really small wheels.
I'm planning on using the kit wheels so it will be able to land on a runway.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

I am probly wrong but I view helicopter wheels as being just to enable them to be moved about on the ground after they have landed.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

The big choppers do taxi basicly like any aircraft would do. I always thought it strange for helicopters to spend a bunch of time and fuel taxiing out to a runway to take off but I suppose its to keep things organized and prevent them from running into each other.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on March 07, 2020, 08:23:21 PM

The big choppers do taxi basicly like any aircraft would do. I always thought it strange for helicopters to spend a bunch of time and fuel taxiing out to a runway to take off but I suppose its to keep things organized and prevent them from running into each other.

They don't do that much in these parts, the UK I mean. They power up the engines, engage the rotors and lift off, after checking with ATC of course.

However they do normal, fixed wing type approaches, then when they get to the airfield perimeter they 'hover taxi' to their allocated pad and land.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I was thinking of the MH-53 in particular. I've seen video of the V-22 doing both.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Now under a model in place order. Maybe I'll get something done on this!
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

I think an A-10 seaplane is crazy enough not to need serious wheels for some actual use (here this is just a joke on a shelf, no?) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

I'm considering landing gear similar to the BE-200 with main gear retracting into bays on the side of the fuselage et the wing roots. I'll post a pic later.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Well, I have glued the floats together!
So many great projects here I better get a move on!
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Quote from: kerick on March 28, 2020, 03:33:25 PM
I have glued the floats together!
Will two floats glued to one another make a single hull? ;D a little like catamaran?

Tophe

kerick

Quote from: Tophe on March 28, 2020, 09:24:29 PM
Quote from: kerick on March 28, 2020, 03:33:25 PM
I have glued the floats together!
Will two floats glued to one another make a single hull? ;D a little like catamaran?

Not what I was planning but an interesting idea! I'll save it for a short but heavy kit bash........
Tophe the Wise