Omigawd, it's 'orrible!

Started by The Rat, February 29, 2020, 03:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Bought this cheap the other day. Maybe not cheap enough.

These pictures should come with a warning, so consider yourself warned. This is the maker's idea of a nose cone.

It's got Dumbo ears! Cute, but I seriously doubt they should be there. They have already been sanded off. Those other bits of plastic are supposed to be the nose gear doors. Yeah, count them gone. Depending on my ambition this may be done 'wheels up'.

And the wings are... basic, with overstated raised panel lines. These will also be sanded off.

How anyone ever expected this to be a kit for kids must be a sadist. It requires sharp knives, files, and possibly, to quote Arlo Guthrie, "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction", in order to just prep the pieces.

But I'm stuck with it. Because I'm a modeling masochist.

Found a 3-view on-line, and wondered about doing this:

A tactical reconnaissance aircraft, single pilot (leaves room for more fuel), with cameras and electronic intelligence gathering equipment. Of which I have absolutely no knowledge, but those back stories can do amazing things...

Scheme? Well, it won't be extremely high altitude, and would probably not operate directly over the combat arena, just on the periphery, so instead of some U-2 type black (or was it extremely dark blue? Let the fighting commence on that subject), maybe a sky blue all over.

Stay tuned.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

Kit will, obviously, be on-side with this idea. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

So bad it's popped the H right off of horrible ! :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

I the plastic really soft, like soap?  I've had a few of those from East of the Berlin wall before....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Rat

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 29, 2020, 05:16:36 PM
I the plastic really soft, like soap?  I've had a few of those from East of the Berlin wall before....

Seems about normal. Took a while to get some flash off various bits with a file. Doesn't seem brittle. Must have been a good day at the plant.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 29, 2020, 04:43:04 PM
So bad it's popped the H right off of horrible ! :thumbsup:

I came from the pits of 'ell!

Spey_Phantom

i built this kit too many many years ago, downright awefull.
not even good enough as a spare parts/kitbashing source
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Iskra kits seem cursed for some reason. The Polish one (from whichever company has got the moulds this week) looks nice in the box but is an absolute PITA to actually build...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 29, 2020, 04:41:21 PM

Yeah, I may go along with that idea                                                                                    A LOT!  :thumbsup: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 29, 2020, 04:41:21 PM

Me too, I like the idea. Looks like a "small man's " U-2  alternative!  :thumbsup:

The 1:72 kit alternatives are the Intech kit, which has been re-boxed several times under the Master/Mistercraft label (which is probably better than the one you got, it also comes with optional parts for a single-seater, even though they do not work...), and there's a relatively new kit, too, from Arma Hobby, from 2017. It's quite pricey, though (PE parts), and it reminds of the recent Airfix kits, with emphasized engravings.