DB 601a Whirlwind

Started by Scotaidh, March 01, 2020, 03:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

What if a Westland Whirlwind fighter had been re-engined with recovered & rebuilt German engines? Daimler-Benz DB 601s, to be exact.

Design Layout Drawing

Transition plates 1

Transition Plates 2 - turns out three were needed to provide the required spacing

Engines in place

You can see how much the nacelle profile needs to be adjusted to be smooth

Wing attached and major PSR done

Prototype Yellow  under-surfaces

I wanted to keep the yellow spinners and rudder to highlight the origin of the engines.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

This is looking very good.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Very nice work there and looking good!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Looking good  :thumbsup:

I've done a Merlin engined Whirlwind using some cut down Spitfire cowlings.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 02, 2020, 06:03:54 AM

Me too, twice. But both times I used engine donors from a Mosquito: the first time I transplanted the gondolas wholesale (and they turned out to be a bit oversized...), the second time I (just) implanted resin engines from a conversion kit. Looked much better.

The DB 601 idea is nice, the conversion looks good so far.  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Neat idea. Defo going to change the look !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 02, 2020, 07:53:57 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 02, 2020, 06:03:54 AM

Me too, twice. But both times I used engine donors from a Mosquito: the first time I transplanted the gondolas wholesale (and they turned out to be a bit oversized...), the second time I (just) implanted resin engines from a conversion kit. Looked much better.

The DB 601 idea is nice, the conversion looks good so far.  :thumbsup:

My "Sea Whirlwind" with Merlins was from conversion kits, came out better than I feared half way through!

This is looking intriguing, I wonder how it would look in the captured Messerspit paint scheme?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Doug K on March 02, 2020, 08:25:05 AM

This is looking intriguing, I wonder how it would look in the captured Messerspit paint scheme?

That would be a 'Messerwind' then.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 02, 2020, 08:37:19 AM
Quote from: Doug K on March 02, 2020, 08:25:05 AM

That would be a 'Messerwind' then.  ;D

"Whirlischmitt"

;)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Wooksta!

The Luftwaffe had at least one captured Whirlwind, but AFAIK, it was never flown.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Scotaidh

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 02, 2020, 01:38:56 PM
The Luftwaffe had at least one captured Whirlwind, but AFAIK, it was never flown.

What's your source on that?  I've looked without success - I keep getting bogged down in Pinterest ...  :/

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 05, 2020, 02:06:07 AM
I've looked without success - I keep getting bogged down in Pinterest ...  :/

The number of times that's happened to me recently whilst trying to do some research is so frustrating  :banghead: Going to go back to books and the library I think.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Interesting.  :thumbsup:

In real-world terms the ballasting required would be interesting as you'd be adding over
350lbs forward of the CG, probably well over 400lbs once the necessary changes in mounts,
hardware, piping etc. were made.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 05, 2020, 02:06:07 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 02, 2020, 01:38:56 PM

What's your source on that?  I've looked without success - I keep getting bogged down in Pinterest ...  :/

I think it was a Squadron/Signal book called "Strangers in a Strange Land" about Allied aircraft in Axis hands.  I don't have it to hand so can't check.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Scotaidh

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 05, 2020, 02:33:50 PM
Interesting.  :thumbsup:

In real-world terms the ballasting required would be interesting as you'd be adding over
350lbs forward of the CG, probably well over 400lbs once the necessary changes in mounts,
hardware, piping etc. were made.

I think I'd handle that by relocating the cannon to put the breeches and ammo - a lot more ammo - aft of the cockpit ala Mosquito, and extending the blast-tubes.  But for now, I'm keeping it simple.  I might even leave off the cannon altogether to sort out that CG problem - after all, this is a prototype.  :)