Lockheed-Savoia seaplanes

Started by Tophe, March 01, 2020, 06:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

The Savoia S.55 was famous with a group of these twin-hull seaplanes travelling from Italy to America. The Savoia-Marchetti SM.66 replaced the 2 push-pull engines by 3 pusher engines (and the SM.77 by 3 other engines, while the SM.88 was a completely independent twin-boom landplane).
When in 1940 the Canadian Lumberjack (civilian) Navy decided to order seaplanes to reach lakes in the far forest, they asked Savoia-like-ones to the Lockheed company, that proposed 3designs: P-38S-55, P-38S-66, P-38S-77. I will show them as drawings soon, not building them sorry.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Tophe

Tophe

PR19_Kit

Yes, three engines makes them much more 'Italian' of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Yes, while... the Italian famous 3rd engine is usually a nose engine.
But this is a good idea for a 4th proposal:

Just needing a 2nd ladder for the pilot to climb in the cockpit ;D

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on March 02, 2020, 05:12:33 AM
Yes, while... the Italian famous 3rd engine is usually a nose engine.
A nose engine appeared also on the 5th proposal, that had just 2 engines: <_<

Tophe

Of couse, the 6th proposal was the 66 with a nose engine (66N), turning push-pull:

Tophe

Pilots argued that in the Northern forest, when the autumn is coming, cold, water turns to ice on the borders of lakes and a short take-off is required, needing much more power (at the expense of range, OK). So a 6-engined version was designed:

kerick

Also needs the extra power for take off with all those lumberjack tools! Lots of saws and axes.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Thanks for this helping me to find reasons, which means I am not (completely) crazy... :unsure: ;)

Caveman

But Tophe, they are all symmetrical!  ;)
secretprojects forum migrant

Tophe

You are very right: tomorrow I will look in the Lockheed archives and probably I will find asymmetrical versions. Thanks!

Tophe

In parallel to the 6 symmetric proposals were 6 asymmetric proposals. This did not come from Blomi e Vossi but from Lockheed facing the anger of Canadian Lumberjack Navy, saying "it is too expensive". The Lockheed answer, this way, was "yes, we can design cheaper versions, but look at them...":

Tophe