25 de Mayo (ex-USS Randolph, Essex Class) Malvinas/Falklands 1982 *Finished*

Started by sandiego89, March 01, 2020, 06:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

25 de Mayo, ex-USS Randolph, Malvinas/Falklands 1982.

In the late 1960's the Armada de la Republica Argentina was looking for a replacement for the Colossus class Independencia. Talks over acquiring another Colossus class carrier, specifically the HNLMS Karel Doorman, faltered when reviewing the extent of her April 1968 boiler room fire. The United States, which was in the process of retiring several Essex class carriers that had not received the more comprehensive SCD-27C upgrades and that were serving primarily as ASW carriers, stepped in and made an attractive offer for the refit of the USS Randolph (CV-15) and equipping an air-wing.   

The United States had also eyed Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, India, Korea, the Netherlands, South Africa and Canada as potential operators of surplus Essex class carriers, and more lucratively the sale or refurbishment of air-wings for these carriers. 

The 25 de Mayo is best remembered for her role in the 1982 Malvinas/Falklands conflict, which saw the first, and to date only, carrier on carrier action since World War II.... 

The kit: Revell 1:530 scale Oriskany.  Re-issue of the original 1957 mold. 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

So what's the air wing there?
Looks like Trackers, Vigilantes, Phantoms and Seakings.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on March 02, 2020, 02:51:48 AM

I make it out to be: Trackers, Seakings, Crusaders & Skyhawks.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 02, 2020, 03:10:27 AM

You are right.  Ever noticed how Crusaders viewed from above look like small Vigilantes?   ;D
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

sandiego89

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 02, 2020, 03:10:27 AM

Old Wombat is correct, the kit came with Trackers (4) , Sea Kings (4) , Crusaders (6), Sky hawks (4) plus folded wing Cougars (2), barely visible at top of the air wing sprue.  The Trackers (no propellers) and Sky Hawks are nice, the Crusaders passable, but the Sea Kings are rather poor.

Seems a variety of air-wings have come in the many re-issues of this kit, with I believe Sky Hawks and Trackers being in most, but the sprues for the fighters/attack went through more changes with the early ones having more Cougars and Sky Raiders, then more Crusaders.  Other versions had Sea Kings and Trackers and Tracers for the Hornet Apollo 11 recovery ship, and the Lexington as a training ship with Buckeyes, Sky Hawks and curiously (2) Phantoms.     

There are all sorts of possibilities for the air-wing on this one.  The kit actually comes with a pretty good real world Argentinian air-wing, especially with the Sky Hawks, Trackers and Sea Kings, but I have a few others in mind as well.  Being the strange 1/530 scale I will have to do some scratching and bashing and perhaps resin copying in 1/530 scale for what I have in mind....one victim has already been identified.......     
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Work has commenced.

Not surprising for a 1950's mold, the kit is quite basic.  No hangar deck, no small details. It would take a lot of work to make these into a high-quality build of today's standards, but I want to avoid hyper detailing.

I actually find the 1/530 scale is quite appropriate for a ship this size.  While not ideal for placing next to other builds and the scale makes it tough for outfitting an air-wing and aftermarket goodies, it is a good scale for a large carrier, as it fits in between the two popular ship scales of 1/700 and 1/350 scale.  1/700 is good, but the details and aircraft are tiny, while 1/350 carrier kits tend to be expensive, take up a lot of display room, and require a large number of hours for the details and proper air-wing.  So a good in between if you are looking for that.

Good sized, but basic kit. 

the kit next to a straight deck 1/700 Essex. 

No hanger deck, creating big visible voids through the elevator openings, that can gooble up your air-wing, when you are playing....ahhh....staging your aircraft on deck.   

The forward elevator does not go down to the appropriate hangar deck level and would have a huge visible gap down into the empty hull. 

Scratching up a hangar deck from sheet styrene.  Most of this will be invisible.

Revised forward elevator.  The Randolph was not one of the 27C modified carries with the longer steam catapults and the longer pointed forward elevator.  Volumes can be filled with the variety of post-war Essex modifications.   

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Kit bash, 1/520 Scale!

Commencing work on the air-wing

Want a realistic 1982 Argentine Armada wing:
Skyhawk- check
Trackers- check
S-3 Sea King- check
Super Entendard- nope, gonna have to build.
Maybe a few other types....

Turns out a Scimitar from the 1/600 HMS Victorious kit is pretty close to a 1/520 Super Entendard in overall size and wing shape.   

1/600 Scimitar (center) next to print out of 1/520 Super Enterndard

the victims: Scimitar and Cougar

Super Entendard, from Scimitar fuselage and wings, with Cougar nose, cockpit, and tailpipe. 

Stock Scimitar top

Dave "Sandiego89"

zenrat

Fred

Weaver

This is good stuff!  :thumbsup:

I believe that the US also offered the UK some Essexes, which we rejected on the "too much work to convert them to UK standards" grounds. :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

sandiego89

Air wing work continue, final composition still in formulation.

The aircraft from the kit come with no landing gear, so they would flop on their bellies on the flight deck.  I scratched up some landing gear from cut sprue, and cut three bladed propellers for the trackers. 

Super Entendard production line.

4 SuE's made from Scimitars (second from top) and Cougar (top)

Dave "Sandiego89"

zenrat

Fred