PZL RT-1 Iskra

Started by The Rat, March 07, 2020, 05:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Okay, so this collection of plastic lumps I bagged last week will hopefully be turned into a high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, the TR-1. This will happen after the fall of the Warsaw Pact, and the resulting removal of Russian control.

Wings will be lengthened, much swearing will be involved. Intakes will probably need to be enlarged, which will involve more swearing. (In the interests of friendship, I waive copyright on any new words that may be invented.) It will have a single seat, because the canopy is terrible.

The engines will be changed from the WSK SO-3. Looking around Wikipedia tells me that the GE J85 would be a good choice, being much lighter, much smaller, and with higher thrust, and with the ability to have an afterburner. Which may or may not be part of this concept.

Here's the comparative specs:

WSK SO-3

Length: 84.7 in
Diameter: 27.8 in width, 30.1 in height
Dry weight: 708 lb
Maximum thrust: 2,425 lbf take-off, 2,205 lbf continuous

General Electric J85

Length: 45.4–51.1 in without afterburner (depending on accessory equipment installed)
Diameter: 17.7 in
Dry weight: 396–421 lb  (depending on accessory equipment installed)
Maximum thrust: 2,850–3,100 lbf (dry)

Smaller size and lower weight will allow for the installation of more recce equipment, such as cameras, electronics, ECM, air sampling, etc. Name might be changed to reflect the new role. Research...
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

Quote from: The Rat on March 07, 2020, 05:09:57 PM
Wings will be lengthened
Our friend PR19_Kit will love this! <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on March 08, 2020, 12:07:01 AM
Quote from: The Rat on March 07, 2020, 05:09:57 PM

Wings will be lengthened
Our friend PR19_Kit will love this! <_<

You're not wrong Tophe. ALL aeroplanes should be built that way.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Preliminary work indicates that this will definitely NOT be a 'silk purse from a sow's ear'. I don't think one could even make a sow's ear from it.  :banghead:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Designation has also changed fro TR to RT, to reflect the Polish translation of Tactical Reconnaissance to Rozpoznanie Taktyczne. According to Google Translate, so blame them if I'm wrong.

The Rat

Hacked apart a spare horizontal stabiliser from a CF-100, one wing extension done.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

The Rat

Both wings now extended, test fitting shows a nice outline. Intakes are being enlarged to accommodate the increased gulping of the new engine.

JayBee

This is just getting better and better.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Two extended wings are always better than one, except in Tophe's world.  ;D

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

That's looking really good.  :thumbsup:

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 02, 2020, 11:35:19 AM
Two extended wings are always better than one, except in Tophe's world.  ;D
I agree this model (so different with my ones) is elegant! :thumbsup: