Call for 2020/2021 GB Suggestions

Started by NARSES2, March 09, 2020, 07:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: TallEng on March 18, 2020, 10:34:41 AM
How about a Phantom GB?
after all just over 5000 produced.
So plenty to be refurbished and sold on to other armed forces.
plenty of inspiration on Spinners strike Fighters thread.
RF4 for the RAF, FRADU for the Navy.
SAAF? etc
any of the Modified/improved Phantoms- VG, canards the various updates from Boeing and others (or invent your own)
single seat for the GAF?
If its a little to restrictive for everybodies taste there was the original Phantom I, the Fairey Phantome (a very pretty biplane)
Rolls-Royce phantom, and I'm sure there would be others.
just a thought.
Regards
Keith
Quote from: Old Wombat on March 18, 2020, 04:16:45 PM
You forgot "The Ghost Who Walks" ;)

Philistines.

Did Bangalla have an a military?  The Jungle Patrol all looked very British Empire Colonial Masters types.
I suppose we could posit a Skull Cave equipped like the Bat Cave and build accordingly.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2020, 06:42:04 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 18, 2020, 02:24:29 AM
I don't think we should reject any suggestions out of hand. 

And I agree, and as I'm the one who will be organising it, I'm the one that matters  ;D The reason I won't go down this path is because if I start off by ignoring the obvious candidates for exclusion then it becomes all to easy to start ignoring the less obvious ones, or dare I say it the ones I personally don't like, and once started on that path we might as well just run the G.B.'s I fancy.

Obviously that's taking things to their ultimate conclusion but  think/hope you can see why I won't go down that path ?

Yep - it's never the obvious ones, clearly on one side of the line or the other, that are difficult, it's the edge-cases that are difficult because they define the line. Ask anybody who's been involved in drafting laws... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on March 18, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
I'm quite happy for my three ideas to merged into one Emergency Services GB.

:thumbsup: It's was earmarked for that Nick

Cheers lads
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

An Emergency Services GB sounds like an awesome idea. With the coronavirus situation going on around the world, we should show our support to the hundreds of thousands of fire, police, medical, and other emergency workers around the world who are on the front lines and putting their lives at risk in combatting this terrible virus. Let's make this GB happen!  :police: :thumbsup:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

kitbasher

Quote from: Weaver on March 19, 2020, 05:53:40 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2020, 06:42:04 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 18, 2020, 02:24:29 AM
I don't think we should reject any suggestions out of hand. 

And I agree, and as I'm the one who will be organising it, I'm the one that matters  ;D The reason I won't go down this path is because if I start off by ignoring the obvious candidates for exclusion then it becomes all to easy to start ignoring the less obvious ones, or dare I say it the ones I personally don't like, and once started on that path we might as well just run the G.B.'s I fancy.

Obviously that's taking things to their ultimate conclusion but  think/hope you can see why I won't go down that path ?

Yep - it's never the obvious ones, clearly on one side of the line or the other, that are difficult, it's the edge-cases that are difficult because they define the line. Ask anybody who's been involved in drafting laws... :rolleyes:

So the EASA model would work:
1. rule (shall)
2. acceptable means of compliance (should - with scope for alternative means of compliance to be submitted for approval by the Moderators)
3. guidance material (may)

Flexibilities may be written in the rules.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

I've always assumed that moderators (may their decals never wrinkle) worked on a system  analogous to the rules of cricket.  Every rule in the cricket rule-book begins "If, in the opinion of the umpire......"  and I'm quite happy to have every rule in Whiffworld  builds begin "If, in the opinion of the moderators........."
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: Rheged on March 19, 2020, 01:36:53 PM
I've always assumed that moderators (may their decals never wrinkle) worked on a system  analogous to the rules of cricket.  Every rule in the cricket rule-book begins "If, in the opinion of the umpire......"  and I'm quite happy to have every rule in Whiffworld  builds begin "If, in the opinion of the moderators........."

That's fine.  But then someone goes and lets me be a moderator... :wacko:

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Couple of days left for suggestions lads. I'll sort phase 1 of the Poll out next week.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: zenrat on March 20, 2020, 02:32:41 AM
Quote from: Rheged on March 19, 2020, 01:36:53 PM

That's fine.  But then someone goes and lets me be a moderator... :wacko:
Ditto

tigercat

Fictional GB -subject matter to appear  in a What if variants of a tv series , cartoon, movie  , book etc.

E.g a Vauxhall Astra as seen in Fast and Furious 17 -

Or  a Hawker  Hamster as seen in Biggles sweeps the carpet  and

Or a red Tardis in an Alternative Doctor Who where his first story was set in Scotland

Joe C-P

Quote from: seadude on March 19, 2020, 07:57:47 AM

An Emergency Services GB sounds like an awesome idea. With the coronavirus situation going on around the world, we should show our support to the hundreds of thousands of fire, police, medical, and other emergency workers around the world who are on the front lines and putting their lives at risk in combatting this terrible virus. Let's make this GB happen!  :police: :thumbsup:

I agree!  I've considered what would make for a good modern hospital ship.  Some people have proposed cruise ships as the basis, though it would take a lot to replace an interior designed essentially as a floating hotel.  Perhaps a container ship with a landing deck.  Yes.  A smaller one, not the giants.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

sandiego89

Quote from: TallEng on March 18, 2020, 10:34:41 AM
How about a Phantom GB?
after all just over 5000 produced.
So plenty to be refurbished and sold on to other armed forces.
plenty of inspiration on Spinners strike Fighters thread.
RF4 for the RAF, FRADU for the Navy.
SAAF? etc
any of the Modified/improved Phantoms- VG, canards the various updates from Boeing and others (or invent your own)
single seat for the GAF?
If its a little to restrictive for everybodies taste there was the original Phantom I, the Fairey Phantome (a very pretty biplane)
Rolls-Royce phantom, and I'm sure there would be others.
just a thought.
Regards
Keith

Ohhh, I do like the idea of a Phabulous Phantom GB.  Plenty of varieties of the F-4, the earlier FH-1, and as you mention enough cars, figures etc with a Phantom theme. I have a perfect idea in mind (and in the stash!)   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Quote from: JoeP on March 21, 2020, 07:58:49 AM

I agree!  I've considered what would make for a good modern hospital ship.  Some people have proposed cruise ships as the basis, though it would take a lot to replace an interior designed essentially as a floating hotel.  Perhaps a container ship with a landing deck.  Yes.  A smaller one, not the giants.

That's essentially what HMS Argus is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFA_Argus_(A135)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on March 21, 2020, 05:18:31 PM
Quote from: JoeP on March 21, 2020, 07:58:49 AM

That's essentially what HMS Argus is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFA_Argus_(A135)

I like the sound of this as it is non-beligerent and I already have biohazard symbols in a powerpoint file from an earlier set of transfers plus a number of kits in the stash which would make completely unsuitable Coronevac vehicles.
But lets not get ahead of ourselves.  We have to let the democratic process go through its paces.

Fred

AeroplaneDriver

I really like the sound of the "Emergency Services" and "Phabulous Phantom" ideas.

How long is it since there's been a "Profiles GB"?  Build a kit with paint/markings as found in a profile published on the forum prior to GB start date. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....