Call for 2020/2021 GB Suggestions

Started by NARSES2, March 09, 2020, 07:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Would "SWORDS TO PLOUGHSHARES"  be a possible GB?.   After all, post WW2 some tanks were converted to agricultural tractors, Bombers to transports and Aristotle Onassis' Yacht "Christina"  was a conversion from the River class frigate HMCS Stormont.

We could have:-
landing craft  car ferries  (P&O, Orkney Ferries  or other company livery of your choice)
a Canberra, RE8, or even a PR19 in Ordnance Survey livery
Artillery tractors as forestry vehicles
A Stalwart bus service to Lindisfarne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_3Cl7hxAyQ
and any number of racing kitSorry, deleted cos we've done this recently

On the other hand, Ploughshares to Swords is possible.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on March 10, 2020, 03:41:55 AM
Would "SWORDS TO PLOUGHSHARES"  be a possible GB?.   After all, post WW2 some tanks were converted to agricultural tractors, Bombers to transports and Aristotle Onassis' Yacht "Christina"  was a conversion from the River class frigate HMCS Stormont.

Jacques Cousteau's Calypso was a converted US minesweeper.

One of my pet projects is a civilian disaster relief helicopter carrier using helos from the AMARC boneyard. The Italian Navy has a class of small amphibious warfare ships and one of those was paid for and is operated on behalf of, Italy's civilian disaster-relief agency.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 10, 2020, 02:40:21 AM

Logistics train GB.  Cargo aircraft, freight trucks, container ships, etc.  Not sexy but vital.

Indeed. The book I'm currently reading on the British Pacific Fleet has a fair bit about the Fleet Train and the lessons it had to learn/learned. Incredible amount of diversity and my current Kingfisher build has been partly inspired by this.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2020, 07:12:54 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 10, 2020, 02:40:21 AM

Logistics train GB.  Cargo aircraft, freight trucks, container ships, etc.  Not sexy but vital.

Indeed. The book I'm currently reading on the British Pacific Fleet has a fair bit about the Fleet Train and the lessons it had to learn/learned. Incredible amount of diversity and my current Kingfisher build has been partly inspired by this.

Affectionately known as "trash haulers" in service. Would be a great GB subject.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2020, 02:22:27 AM
Can I just say that there is one response so far that really does make me wonder why I bother ? And I say that not in anger, but sadness  :-\

Please, please think about it before hitting the keyboard.

I may well say that some of the "more left field" suggestions require a seconder before getting put into the Poll, but I will make that decision nearer the end of the nomination period. If I go down that route then it will go in a separate thread so no need to do anything now.

These things do take time to organise and at the end of the day it's just more work, but I'll see ?

A feeling down Chris

Keep it up Chris, don't let it get you down, we really support you efforts. I fully support your judgement on weeding out those that would have very limited interest. I think most of us can readily see what those would be.

This is not the time for a "Taco Truck GB" or "Cessna-150 in Lithuanian Service GB"- no offense if someone is really into Tacos or Cessnas...go ahead and build it, but don't nominate it as subject.

Thanks again for doing this Chris!

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Nick

Medic! A GB based on paramedics, doctors, MASH units, evac flights, Mad Max style ambulances, flying or floating hospitals. Could be military or civilian, Earth bound or in Space.

Fire! A GB all about firefighting. Souped up fire trucks, water bombers, water jets on tanks, bush fires etc.

Police! A GB about the 1980s pop band starring Sting. Or maybe not  :rolleyes:.  This one is obviously about law enforcement in all forms. Bonus points for including the phrase "Crikey, it's the Rozzers" on your build.  ;D
At 50 seconds in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OA9mA176mA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyNJt4e-3AA

Or merge all together for a Blue Lights GB.

McColm

Military doomed inventions

I would second the 'fire' suggestion

British Leyland cars that should have gone into production,  I've been following a guy called 'HubNut' on YouTube. He has been visiting New Zealand and driving some of the cars built there as well as a few Australian built cars. British Leyland considered building the Kimberley in the UK which would be an interesting subject.

kitbasher

Quote from: McColm on March 10, 2020, 12:22:14 PM
British Leyland cars that should have gone into production

Blimey that's a bit niche!  Owning a Leyland car in itself was a bit of a real world what if activity!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2020, 01:28:06 PM

Not sure what you mean by this ?
For example the Soviet T-64 Tank, on paper it should have been a world beater. In practice it had engine failure,  complex  controls,  auto-loader breakdowns and a lack of safety features.

McColm

Coupe Utility
Production cars converted into Utes , not the standard pickup truck.

Weaver

Quote from: McColm on March 10, 2020, 02:45:58 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2020, 01:28:06 PM

Not sure what you mean by this ?
For example the Soviet T-64 Tank, on paper it should have been a world beater. In practice it had engine failure,  complex  controls,  auto-loader breakdowns and a lack of safety features.

In a what if context, I'd have thought that would come under the umbrella of Really Bad Ideas or That'll Never Work as suggested by Zenrat.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Cobra

has Anyone Considered a Gerry Anderson GB? not sur eif it's Been done,Just thought I'd toss that into the Ring! Dan

tigercat

Ground Attack  and Flak

So things that shoot down and things that shoot up. And Occasionally the things that shoot down will shoot up the things that shoot up and the things that shoot up will shoot down  the things that shoot down .

Channelling my inner Dr Seuss

Dizzyfugu

I like the "Medic" theme, but would extend it to something like "Au sauvage", just for a bigger scope (e. g. for firefighting or plice vehicles)?

Another idea I had, even though it might be a bit limiting, is "Wintertime" - things in snow cammo, built for snow environment, Arctica/Antractica settings, maybe an alternative assault on Hoth?