Call for 2020/2021 GB Suggestions

Started by NARSES2, March 09, 2020, 07:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on March 17, 2020, 07:29:59 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 17, 2020, 07:05:12 AM
I like it. Could also include the various conflicts involving the newly created Baltic States, Poland, Ukraine and those involving German Freikorps as well as Reds v Whites. The period between 1918 and 1923'ish is extremely complicated in historical terms and I have just the book to explain it all  ;)

I've read two books that try to explain it all twice each and I still don't understand it...

I take notes when I read these type of books. I also get a copy of a period, or near to period, map of the area that I can scribble on. My old history master taught me that one and it helps as you don't have to struggle with the geography as well as the events  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 17, 2020, 07:38:35 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 17, 2020, 07:29:59 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 17, 2020, 07:05:12 AM
I like it. Could also include the various conflicts involving the newly created Baltic States, Poland, Ukraine and those involving German Freikorps as well as Reds v Whites. The period between 1918 and 1923'ish is extremely complicated in historical terms and I have just the book to explain it all  ;)

I've read two books that try to explain it all twice each and I still don't understand it...

I take notes when I read these type of books. I also get a copy of a period, or near to period, map of the area that I can scribble on. My old history master taught me that one and it helps as you don't have to struggle with the geography as well as the events  :thumbsup:

!919 to 1930 is quite a complex period in Baltic/Russian/German history.   I had a history master that had the same map idea.  One of his (many) pet phrases  was that geography is just history with an extra dimension.  Mr Morlin is the main reason I have a History/Geography degree, and I'm pleased to report that I was able to thank him!!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 16, 2020, 06:48:59 AM
Right gents, I'm going to give this another 7 days or so and then I'll close it down and start to pull things together and organise the poll.

Whilst I'm pulling things together I'll also finalize what 'm going to do with some of the more unlikely suggestions. I'll probably go down the path of organising a quick "are there any seconders" thread, but we shall see.

Chris

If it would help I offer my services in helping you weeding down the list or putting a second set of eyes on your proposal to help put up a solid list for the larger group vote.  I think most on here would prefer voting from their three picks from a list of say 12-15 nominations that have likely appeal, rather than scroll through 40 or so suggestions, especially when many of those "unlikely" ones from a certain poster that frankly will not get a single vote.  I say its is OK to ignore a few. "any seconders" may feel like multiple rounds of polls.

Thanks for all you do!     

-Dave 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

loupgarou

Yes, I heartily agree with Dave/Sandiego that many suggestions can be ignored, BEFORE arriving at a list for the poll.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Nick

I agree that the more choice we have, the harder it is to choose. Is it practical to do some form of two round voting? Keep the top 10 and try again?

I'll look for a website that offers such mechanisms later.

zenrat

I don't think we should reject any suggestions out of hand.  But a two stage vote, while more work for Chris, would be a good solution.
Let the electorate decide.  Because how could that possibly go wrong?
:wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on March 18, 2020, 02:24:29 AM
I don't think we should reject any suggestions out of hand.  But a two stage vote, while more work for Chris, would be a good solution.
Let the electorate decide.  Because how could that possibly go wrong?
:wacko:

Do you *really* want a political scientist or other student of history to answer that question Fred? :wacko:  I do, however, like the two stage vote idea.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 18, 2020, 02:24:29 AM
I don't think we should reject any suggestions out of hand. 

And I agree, and as I'm the one who will be organising it, I'm the one that matters  ;D The reason I won't go down this path is because if I start off by ignoring the obvious candidates for exclusion then it becomes all to easy to start ignoring the less obvious ones, or dare I say it the ones I personally don't like, and once started on that path we might as well just run the G.B.'s I fancy.

Obviously that's taking things to their ultimate conclusion but  think/hope you can see why I won't go down that path ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 17, 2020, 10:57:10 AM

If it would help I offer my services in helping you weeding down the list or putting a second set of eyes on your proposal to help put up a solid list for the larger group vote.  I think most on here would prefer voting from their three picks from a list of say 12-15 nominations that have likely appeal, rather than scroll through 40 or so suggestions, especially when many of those "unlikely" ones from a certain poster that frankly will not get a single vote.  I say its is OK to ignore a few. "any seconders" may feel like multiple rounds of polls.

Thanks for all you do!     

-Dave

Thanks Dave, but in all honesty once we have the list it doesn't take me that long. I just do a lot of copy/paste/copy/edit/paste  ;)

However I will take what people have said about the number of possible choices muddying the waters aboard and indeed I've been very aware of this possibility, whence my original appeal to "take a step back" before submitting ideas. So, what I will do is instead of organising a "seconders needed" thread I will instead have a first round, followed by a second round when it comes to polling. Round one will see all suggestions included and round two will include the Top x (depends on numbers in round one) which will then choose the 3 GB's for the season.

Please note that when I say "all suggestions" I do combine those that are so similar that it makes no difference and also I sometimes broaden the scope of a suggestion so as to give it greater appeal.

Hope that's o.k. ? If so then I should be in a position to get round one up and running next week.

Chris

sandiego89

Sounds good by me Chris, go for it.   

Sorry you have to go through this angst mostly due to one member not quite "getting it". 

As always we appreciate what you do for keeping the GB's on track, and as I've said before, I believe the current GB format (three 90 day(ish) builds, plus the one week GB, no overlap, and the 2 year hiatus on similar/repeat themes) is about perfect.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Sounds very good, go for it!  :thumbsup:

And many thanks for organizing the poll, highly appreciated.  :bow:

Nick

I'm quite happy for my three ideas to merged into one Emergency Services GB.

TallEng

How about a Phantom GB?
after all just over 5000 produced.
So plenty to be refurbished and sold on to other armed forces.
plenty of inspiration on Spinners strike Fighters thread.
RF4 for the RAF, FRADU for the Navy.
SAAF? etc
any of the Modified/improved Phantoms- VG, canards the various updates from Boeing and others (or invent your own)
single seat for the GAF?
If its a little to restrictive for everybodies taste there was the original Phantom I, the Fairey Phantome (a very pretty biplane)
Rolls-Royce phantom, and I'm sure there would be others.
just a thought.
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est