Double Pancake

Started by PR19_Kit, March 10, 2020, 08:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

As a backup model for this 'In the Navy' GB I looked out a Pegasus Vought XF5U-1 Flying pancake kit that I had stashed away in The Loft. While this is a kit of the same aeroplane as the famous Hasegawa/Tamiya Pancake kit, it's nowhere near the same quality, or so I'm told as I've never even set eyes upon an unbuilt Hasegawa kit!  :o

While the Pegasus Pancake has the most exquisite engraved panel line detail the outline is pretty darn crude, with LOTS of flash and thick sprue gates abounding. It's also moulded in four main parts, the top and bottom sections are split along the centre chord line, which makes assembly somewhat difficult to say the least. In addition there are NO assembly instructions whatsoever! Apparently the builder is expected to know the aeroplane well enough to be able to figure out where all the parts go. Luckily I've spent some time studying the thing so I did know where most went, but it's a bit disconcerting.

My backstory for this build has the US Navy realising that such an unorthodox aircraft would take some difficulty in learning to fly the service examples and so they contracted Vought to develop a two-seat trainer version and that's what I'm modelling.  ;)

To this end I needed a suitable canopy of course, as well as chopping out space for a second seat behind the trainees seat, and so I started to carve the forward upper quarter of the main mouldings apart.

Instant disaster!  :banghead:

Pegasus' styrene has always been a bit on the heavy-duty side and this was no different. So much so that the moulding shattered into three parts when I started to saw it! A similar thing happened to the forward lower moulding when I tried to file off the extensive sprue gates, and so I've reluctantly abandoned this build as a dead loss. It would have been difficult building it stock, let alone with giving it an extra seat.

I'm not giving up the idea though, and I'll be looking out for a Hasegawa pancake kit as soon as I can get an internet link.

Oh, you want to know what I'm using for the canopy?  ;D

After looking at two-seat versions of the Jaguar, the Mirage III, the F-104, the F-100 and the Javelin I finally settled on the one for the F-89H Scorpion that had donated its wing tip missile pods for my Canberra F10 conversion.

[Later] I found a Hase Pancake kit on eBay and I bought it, so this build will be continuing in the near future hopefully.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AndrewF

I'll be interested to see how this turns out, given my (Single) Pancake drawn efforts a while ago... ;D

kitnut617

I've got a 60% built Hasegawa one in the stash, I had started it years ago before our house move, but it's the usually story, got packed up and it's still there. I've also got the Sword earlier pancake, V-173 IIRC.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Here's my Hasegawa one Kit. Built for the 2016 In The Navy GB

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=42440.30

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

When Tophe sees the title "Double pancake", I am sure he will get ideas...  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

ChernayaAkula

Don't know about Tophe, but when I read "Double Pancake", I thought of a biplane.  :blink:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

When you said "Double Pancake", I though for a moment that you were doing a model of the little-known EF5U-1 AWACS version of the flying pancake... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ericr

AndrewF

Plenty of good ideas on this thread already!

Nick

I saw 'Double Pancake' and thought of butter and syrup dripping over the sides....  ;D

kitnut617

Quote from: Nick on March 12, 2020, 09:07:33 AM
I saw 'Double Pancake' and thought of butter and syrup dripping over the sides....  ;D

And don't forget the sausages ---  ;D  (pigs in a blanket)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Tophe

Quote from: loupgarou on March 10, 2020, 03:55:05 PM
When Tophe sees the title "Double pancake", I am sure he will get ideas...  ;D
Ahem, I already drew a double-tail pancake:

But also I made a double-pancake fake photograph if I remember well, I am looking for it.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on March 12, 2020, 09:20:47 AM
But also I made a double-pancake fake photograph if I remember well, I am looking for it.
I have not found it, so I made the picture again, from my asymmetric pancake model of the past:

(double pancake in a double plate) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

I've got the Hasegawa kit now, and it's a ZINGER compared too the Pegasus version.

Construction will commence as soon as I get home after piggybacking on my friend's wifi.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Here's the basic Pancake kit in all it's wonderful weirdness.

And inside the box it's equally weird, how nice.   ;D

Luckily all the steps I'd planned for the Pegasus version will work for this one too.

Regards
Kit