Double Pancake

Started by PR19_Kit, March 10, 2020, 08:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The rear half of the cockpit is well under construction now. I've filed (and filed and filed.....) the canopy so that it fits and looks right, and that determines the profile of the rear of the canopy support, and you can see that under construction here.

It'll surely need a small amount of PSR once I've finished, but not too much I hope. I'm working on the other prop as well, that's SO fiddly!  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I found the dregs of a can of grey primer so was able to go a bit further with the Pancake today. The understructure of the canopy is done, and after LOTS of PSR it's looking pretty much as I intended it to. It needed a fair amount of filing and PSR at the front end too, but it's pretty much there now.

Here's the structure before spraying, so you can see how many little bits and pieces there are in there.

And here it is all sprayed up. It may need a tad more PSR once I've looked at it in the morning, otherwise the extended fins go on next.

I've also finished the other prop. They take ages to do as the hub end of the blades are so thin that ordinary cement just isn't strong enough to hold them in position, so they need supergluing individually while being jigged in position. Thank goodness it didn't have contra-props!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jalles

This is looking great! I'm excited to see it with the canopy on  :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

I'd make the fairing behind the canopy longer with a less steep angle.  Something about airflow - Hawkers had similar problems with the Hunter T-bird.

It's also an ideal place to get more fuel in or various electronic gubbins.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 07, 2020, 04:05:59 AM

I'd make the fairing behind the canopy longer with a less steep angle.  Something about airflow - Hawkers had similar problems with the Hunter T-bird.

It's also an ideal place to get more fuel in or various electronic gubbins.

In a perfect world I might have done, but I don't have access to the right bits for the rear fairing of the canopy.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The final PSR session has been done, together with the final coat of primer, if only because I really HAVE run out of the stuff now! Fingers crossed that Halfords come up with my order on Tuesday.

The cockpit and wheel bays have been painted, and this morning I was trying to glue on the resin ejector seat handles.......  :banghead:

Total failure! They're so small and brittle that they were just not strong enough to stay in one piece when I cut them off the resin blocks, so I came up with a Plan B, 5 amp fuse wire.  :thumbsup:

It's exactly the right size and much stronger, but still just as fiddly to bend and attach. So the rear seat's done, but the pupil's seat will have to wait while my eyes refocus!

Oh yes, I've sorted out the planned colour scheme  and the required decals and they're already to be printed. The colour scheme's a ZINGER, none of that Midnite Blue business, oh NO!  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Things have ground to a halt again as I've not brought any fine brushes with me, so I can't finish off the cockpit until I can get some more. As there's not a hobby shop in the land that's open I'm having to wait for Amazon to deliver me a set, together with some more paint.

Ho Hum................... :(

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Hnag in there, Kit.  Would you like a care package sent from Downunder?   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

At Amazon's current delivery rate, a care package from down under may arrive here first!

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Jeez, they must be really slow.

Current advice provided to us in the Post Office is that parcels from Australia to the UK are subject to two to three week delays on top of the quoted delivery time.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

I know it's the Easter long weekend but a delivery from Melbourne is, currently, 3 (actual) business days late & the tracking site now simply states "Delayed", without any ETA.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Can't say i like the look of that thing but that is very nice work done on the canopy fairing.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 11, 2020, 05:14:41 AM
I know it's the Easter long weekend but a delivery from Melbourne is, currently, 3 (actual) business days late & the tracking site now simply states "Delayed", without any ETA.

Did it leave here before it got delayed?
There are delays interstate because of the lack of aircraft to put the post in (a lot usually travels in passenger aircraft).  Also the sheer volume of chocolate being sent out by Grandparents who are not able to get to see the little shits darlings in person.  Seriously, we ran out of boxes last week and they were mostly being filled with brown gold.

I haven't received anything coming the other way either.   :-\

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on April 11, 2020, 05:52:43 AM

There are delays interstate because of the lack of aircraft to put the post in (a lot usually travels in passenger aircraft).  Also the sheer volume of chocolate being sent out by Grandparents who are not able to get to see the little shits darlings in person.  Seriously, we ran out of boxes last week and they were mostly being filled with brown gold.

PM inbound - to keep Kit's thread AustPost free.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 12, 2020, 02:32:47 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 11, 2020, 05:52:43 AM

PM inbound - to keep Kit's thread AustPost free.

I don't mind, it's not as if I can post anything else before my new brushes get here in a weeks time.

Regards
Kit