Double Pancake

Started by PR19_Kit, March 10, 2020, 08:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Hmm. Attach some legs and you'd have a wonderful mecha frog/toad.  :wacko: :rolleyes:  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Librarian

Quite the beast. Got the Kittyhawk kit somewhere but never quite got around to fitting Pegasus-type engines inside with nozzles :wacko:

I read somewhere that when sailing into wind (X-knots??), the plane would just lift straight up. Boone Guyton said something about his belief that the vibration issues would have shaken the plane apart with a very short airframe life.

The Wooksta!

I did the Hasegawa kit in 1996 as a FAA bird wearing Gannet markings - it was definitely at Telford that year on the SIG stand and I had several people convinced we'd operated it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The testbed for the Pancake, the lower powered V-173, did almost take-off vertically.

Its take-off run was something less than a couple of fuselage lengths IIRC. I can't remember where I read it, maybe an Aeroplane Magazine article some years ago.

I was thinking about replacing the P&Ws with turboprops, it's already got a perfect intake configuration, I'd just have to sort out an exhaust setup somehow.

I recall your FAA Pancake Lee, that looked the business for sure.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 14, 2020, 08:36:33 AM
I've got the Hasegawa kit now, and it's a ZINGER compared too the Pegasus version.

The Hasegawa Pancake was originally produce by Hobby Spot U as a resin kit. This Japanese company only produced three kits and only lasted four years (1989-93). Hasegawa re-issued two of them, the Bell X-1 and the Pancake.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

I think the Japanese version of the Komet that Hasegawa released was also by Hobby Spot U - IIRC there was a marking on the box.  It definitely wasn't a Hasegawa tooling.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

The only other kit Hobby Spot U made was a Nakajima Kikka, according to the big book.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 15, 2020, 06:22:28 AM

The Hasegawa Pancake was originally produce by Hobby Spot U as a resin kit. This Japanese company only produced three kits and only lasted four years (1989-93). Hasegawa re-issued two of them, the Bell X-1 and the Pancake.

While searching the sprues for some of the tiny parts I found that it actually has 'Hobby Spot U' moulded on the runners, in quite large lettering too!  :banghead:

The only places that mention Hasegawa are the instructions and the box.

I'm scratching up the tandem cockpit at the mo, which isn't as straightforward as I thought it would be, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it, right?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I was looking at the instruction sheet for the Italeri/Testors BAe T.45 Goshawk which has similar markings as the T-28 you were asking what the 'red' was. I have the Testors boxing of the T-45 and it says the red is Testors 2719 Italian Red, FS31302 or Humbrol 60.

jcf

Were are you adding the second seat? Immediately behind the aft cockpit bulkhead are the
oil tanks and the cross-shafting connecting the engines.

PR19_Kit

The cross shaft is going behind the front seat and in front of the rear instrument panel.

And as the production F5Us had turbine engines they didn't need such large oil tanks...............  ;D

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

I like where this is going!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

So, given the props are connected I presume your production version will be able to shut down one engine and loiter?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 23, 2020, 12:26:47 AM

So, given the props are connected I presume your production version will be able to shut down one engine and loiter?

Actually no, or maybe yes.  ;D

For the aerodynamics of the Zimmerman wing to work both props have to be going the whole time, so at least one engine needs to be running.

But as the engines are the dreaded T40s (hardly any aeroplane that used them was trouble free....) one half of each engine could be shut down in the cruise, a bit like a Gannet.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

But Kit, the diagram Jon posted clearly shows the props are linked by gears and shafts so it would be possible, possibly with the addition of a clutch (?), to run both props on one engine.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..