Double Pancake

Started by PR19_Kit, March 10, 2020, 08:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

And here's the first prop. There's TEN parts in that assembly!  :o

The blades really need to be jigged up while the glue is drying, but the real thing could have them at all sorts of angles apparently, so maybe it wouldn't matter too much if they weren't all at 90 degrees to each other.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

It's a useful JMN-boggling fact!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Going great guns on the Pancake now, the cockpit's glued in place, and walled in from the underside, and I've just glued the top and bottom halves of the airframe together.  ;D

I've been wanting to do that for ages, but it wasn't possible while I had the cockpit to sort out.

Here's the dual seats, instructor in the rear somewhat higher than the pupil in the front, as in all good trainers.

Here's all the scratchbuilt 40 thou. underframe. It's not that neat but no-one will be able to see it anyway, and it's strong enough to hold everything in place.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

He11s Donkeys Kit what kind of canopy are you going to fit over that ?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

The windscreen from the kit married to the rear from a trainer Jaguar, plus a scratchbuild fairing at the very rear, with LOTS of PSR I suspect.

All mounted at a slant of course.....

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Joined the top and bottom halves, added the tailplanes and the engine intake cowlings. Both the last two items are going to need some PSR, they don't fit all that well. :(

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

That's looking interesting - I am curious about the canopy, the rear seat looks quite tall!
I love the concept, though, too sad that the F5U kit is so hard to find (and at sensible prices).

PR19_Kit

It IS tall, the instructor has to be able to see over the pupil's head at the astonishing angles of attack the Pancake could fly at.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Very cool. I like the way this is turning out !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AndrewF

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 31, 2020, 04:28:25 AM
It IS tall, the instructor has to be able to see over the pupil's head at the astonishing angles of attack the Pancake could fly at.

Either that or the instructor has realised that the guy in the front seat is useless, and has decided to eject...

Weaver

It has the added advantage that if the pupil really screws up, the instructor can scoot forwards a bit and kick him in the side of the head... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 31, 2020, 05:20:20 AM

It has the added advantage that if the pupil really screws up, the instructor can scoot forwards a bit and kick him in the side of the head... :wacko:

Just like a Jaguar, Tucano or any other modern trainer.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 31, 2020, 05:22:57 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 31, 2020, 05:20:20 AM

Just like a Jaguar, Tucano or any other modern trainer.  ;D

I understand that if the pilot made errors in a Sea Vixen, the navigator in his black hole could bite his ankles!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Just like my Mirage F1P, the Pancake is being PSR'd to death right now. The intake cowlings don't fit at all well, and I'm not quite sure how to sand them down as it's such a narrow gap around them and the prop shaft housings. In the meanwhile I'm sanding the taiplane joints, which aren't that wonderful, and the extended fins too.

(See the yet to be published, but already written, backstory for the extended fins.  ;))

Regards
Kit